Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Poly-M Bullets

runangun

Has anyone ever used these type of bullets? If you don't know what they are their web page is www.masterblastersbullets.com and check them out. Does anyone know how much powder to use with a 147gr 9mm and a 180gr 40cal using Hodgen Titegroup. They say their bullets are made of 12 chemical ingredients including teflon Molybdenum Disulfide combined with an advanced Homopolymer. I don't know that much about bullets so I'm asking for your guys help if these bullets are any good to use in IPSC matches. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

Tom's bullet is all I use in Limited 10. I think in part it helped me make A Class (at least now after I fire a round, I can still see. Before I was using a LSWC..the lube caused considerable smoke). I've put about 15K though my Springfield and will be ordering another 10K here in the next couple months. Great bullet!

runangun:

I have been using these bullets for about 6 months - I love'm.

I shoot the 200gn 45ACP. It has a little shoulder on it so it functions like a wadcutter, but it has a round nose, so it feeds reeeeeeeeal niiiice.

Price is good too.

I also use the 147gn in 9mm.

The Hodgdon manual gives for Titegroup:

3.2gn 855 fps, 3.6gn 929fps.

I use 3.3gn with 147gn Poly-M. Runs my Glock 34 well with-out too much muzzle flip. I haven't crono'd this, so I can't tell you what he speeds are. I use the gun for GSSF, IDPA, and steel, it works well for that.

Geek

• 2 weeks later...

Pardox:

My 34 is stock.

There is very little to no lead build up at all, and, of course, no copper either! Cleaning is darn easy.

I was really worried about it at first, but it hasn't been a problem. I emailed Tom a couple of times and he says he has several shooters on his sponsored teams using glocks with no problems.

Geek

Paradox:

I've been doing a little more work with the Poly-Ms.

When I got to the chrono, my 9mm load just didn't come up to snuff. It made a whopping 105PF! When I upped the charge enough to make a 130 PF I started having problems.

The coating (and some lead) was stripping off in both the Glock barrel and a Beretta 92. I talked to Tom Stidham at Masterblasters and he said he had seen the problem before. Fast powders in the 9mm case spike the pressure which then forces the bullet into the lands too tightly and strips the coating. In my 34 it got bad enough that I had several rounds tumble.

Tom suggested a slower powder. He sells some from Ram-shot, but also suggested HS-6, 231, N330 or N340.

I'm in the process of getting some of the Ram-shot (I understand there is someone trying out True Blue) I will probably try Silhouette.

I have been shooting the 45ACP bullet with Clays from several length kimbers and a Glock 36 and I have not had any problem with leading. Actually the barrels and guns stay very clean - I don't scrub them at all.

I just ordered a sample pack of 9mm 125 gr bullets and am trying them out. I was shooting lead, and get a lot of leading that I am hoping these bullets resolve.

Write Tom an e-mail about the load. I did and his recomendation was right on. For me, 4.0 gr of win 231 with the 125 gr 9mm get abouyt 1050 fps. The actual weight of these bullets is 127 - 128 gr.

THe Chono test is done, mt next step is to shoot the rest of the samples in one sitting with a clean gun to test accuracy and then clean it to see if the leading is still there.

Soligen

Anyone know how these bullets are from a health standpoint? I emailed them the same question and got no answer. I am curious how they compare to HP, FMJ, Plated, and Lead when it comes to the amount of lead one gets on his hands when loading or in his lungs when shooting.

Vlad

Vlad,

While I don’t know the real answer to your question I do know that when I used to load 7-800 lead bullets that my hands (especially the left one) would get coated with a heavy layer of lead and bullet lube. It was REALLY hard to get the stuff off. When I load with the Master Blaster bullets my hands stay clean, just about like loading FMJs. :)

Ed