Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Open Gun

Jan R.

I'm having a new open gun built. 38SC with upright scope mount. I was wondering if anyone had any experience or thoughts on either of these mounts.

http://speedshooter.com/product_detail.cfm?ID=DASM

http://speedshooter.com/product_detail.cfm?ID=CASM

The Cape mount seems interesting in that you can remove the Cmore w/o having to re-zero the scope.

Thanks in advance,

Jan

The cape mount looks like a good option, but I am quite paranoid. If I remove the scope, clean the gun and reattach the scope I am going to zero my gun again. That defeats the point of this scope mount completely, for me.

I have recently ordered one of the DAA mounts and I am waiting for it anxiously. I think it's a very innovative mount, although I am not sure I would use the thumb rest. The main reason for me ordering it is because it is available in black anodized. The fold out support arm and blast shield is a bonus for me.

Edited by Mo Zee

I have recently ordered one of the DAA mounts and I am waiting for it anxiously. I think it's a very innovative mount, although I am not sure I would use the thumb rest. The main reason for me ordering it is because it is available in black anodized. The fold out support arm and blast shield is a bonus for me.

I believe the hole spacing on them is metric, so it will not fit the standard pattern. Did they specify the pattern?

The Cape mount seems interesting in that you can remove the Cmore w/o having to re-zero the scope.

Personally, I do not see a value in that... I can clean the gun just fine without removing the scope, and I prefer sturdy mount with no extra joints, fasteners and potential issues.

I believe the hole spacing on them is metric, so it will not fit the standard pattern. Did they specify the pattern?

I have one here that bolts up directly to the Serendipity mounting pattern (gun was originally fitted with a Quinn II, swapped on the DAA without issue).

I have one here that bolts up directly to the Serendipity mounting pattern (gun was originally fitted with a Quinn II, swapped on the DAA without issue).

That was close... I thought I was going to have a paper weight :rolleyes: . I'll email Saul anyway to confirm.

Edited by Mo Zee

Hi All,

My smith said he has seen the DAA mount loosen from recoil at the slide and blast shield. I agree, I'm too mental to trust the zero after removal!! I think I'll stick with an Alchin!

Jan

Hi All,

My smith said he has seen the DAA mount loosen from recoil at the slide and blast shield. I agree, I'm too mental to trust the zero after removal!! I think I'll stick with an Alchin!

Jan

My DAA mount constantly came loose even with the strongest screws and loctite.

I'll be running a Cheely soon.

Personally, I do not see a value in that... I can clean the gun just fine without removing the scope, and I prefer sturdy mount with no extra joints, fasteners and potential issues.

I've got a JV Dynamics 5-hole mount with my Trijicon Red Dot. The frame serves double duty with one of my limited guns, so I remove the mount with red dot attached all the time. When I shoot open, I just bolt it back on and go. No loss of zero that I've noticed. I didn't think it was that big of a deal.