Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Redding T7 and push-thru sizing

Hi!

I'm buying a new press to accompany my Dillon, mainly for making accurate rifle rounds. So, the ones I've had in mind now are the Redding T7 and Ultramag. I love the idea of having all dies in place with the T7. One use for the press would also be push thru sizing glocked .40S&W cases, which is notoriously hard work. Previously, I've done this with a 50bmg size press, and even with that, it is hard work. I've almost had to jump on the handle just to get the case through the die. So, anyone who has played with the T7: would I be an idiot if I got the T7 for that kind of work, which could almost be described as abusing the press?

On a side note, I think I'll have to get a carbide die for the push thru die, things should be a lot smoother...

Edited by askomiko

IMHO, The T7 is a finely machined tank, a hunk of solid steel that will take hard use and keep working. I like setting up my rifle dies and not having to remove them from the press. I really do not think you can wear it out. That said, I would rather have a $30 single stage press for removing a Glock bludge than maybe being the first one to ruin a $300 press for not using it for what it was designed for.

Tough call. I think you will break the bench before the T7.

IMHO, The T7 is a finely machined tank, a hunk of solid steel that will take hard use and keep working. I like setting up my rifle dies and not having to remove them from the press. I really do not think you can wear it out. That said, I would rather have a $30 single stage press for removing a Glock bludge than maybe being the first one to ruin a $300 press for not using it for what it was designed for.

Tough call. I think you will break the bench before the T7.

The T7 is very large, very heavy, and has a lot of leverage. I use it for .300 and .375 H&H, as well as .450-400 NE 3".

I don't have enough posts to put links in my posts, apparently...

• 9 months later...

Well, I got the Ultramag. Then, with the Redding carbide GRX-die it was so easy, that I sold the Ultramag and got the T7. :D The cases almost go through the die with the weight of the handle alone. The previous push-thru size must have been undersized, since I often needed to jump on the handle and kick it down, and it was a horrible job. Now, the cases sized with that old die don't even touch the die when I push them trough the Redding die... :) And the T7 is awesome! The push through, and all my rifle dies found a permanent home in the turret.

Edited by askomiko

Well, I got the Ultramag. Then, with the Redding carbide GRX-die it was so easy, that I sold the Ultramag and got the T7. :D The cases almost go through the die with the weight of the handle alone. The previous push-thru size must have been undersized, since I often needed to jump on the handle and kick it down, and it was a horrible job. Now, the cases sized with that old die don't even touch the die when I push them trough the Redding die... :) And the T7 is awesome! The push through, and all my rifle dies found a permanent home in the turret.

Your idea prompted me to do get the exact same setup! Thanks for saving me some $$ and time. J

I've had mine for awhile now and I've actually had cases that would not go through the die. A few of them have actually folded the bulge "back over" onto the rim. :surprise: I lube with Hornady lube on pistol brass and use the carbide GRx die which is worth every cent it costs.

Before buying, I had the same concerns and was looking at that monster single stage press they had too. So I emailed Redding and told them what I was going to do exactly in large quantities per month and was inquiring about durability. They said it would not be a problem. When I emailed them, I wasn't aware of the reinforcement boss for the turret that's part of the frame casting. They informed me of that feature when they replied and also told me that they gave one of the first ones made to Sierra Bullets. A good number of years later Sierra called to order some replacement parts. Redding had them return the whole press because they wanted to see how it held up and gave Sierra another brand new one. Sierra had loaded well over 1 million rounds on the old one before needing a part. I wish I had saved the email so I could paste it in here. Love my T7. A T7 and a Dillon 650 is about as close to reloading Nirvana as you can get.

Edited by Shadowrider

My T7 came in that I got on sale during cyber Monday along with the GRX 40 pass through die and the combination works like butter. The T7 is a tank of a turret press and I believe that no case lube is necessary. It was not difficult at all to pass 40 cases through what is an excellent quality redding die. I love the shell holder/push through rod with the spring. Holds the cases on the way up through the die very securely. I also purchased the adapter for the bottle attachment and the bottle itself. Both worked flawlessly. Now I have lots of work to do de-bulging brass. Thank god its cold out.

Edited by HotLoad