Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shok-Buff for P9?

DJPoLo

I have just had our Springfield P9's frame cut up and lightened and put in a light recoil spring. I love the way this gun cycles now but I'm concerned about shooting major loads in it. I'd like to add a shok-buff to the recoil system. Is Buffer Technologies the only company that makes them for this gun? They're pricey ($9.95 each). <_<

-Chet

Sprinco makes a recoil reducer for these guns, and I would suspect that it would help reduce the abuse you are worried about. Eric Grauffel is using Sprinco in his Open and Standard guns,.. so if he's using them :D My Open gun has provisions made to use 1911-type guiderods, springs and shok-buffs. I think the Buffer Tech. for the CZ will work for you, but myself, I would not run too light of a recoil spring for major loads at least. I think the lightest I've gone is 11-12 lbs, and normally run a 13. WCPI used to have recoil springs rated for "Major" I doubt you will find any, but check with George at EGW as I think he carries something similar.

• 5 months later...
The previous owner took regular 1911 shock buffs and bored out the hole so it fit over the spring. He thin slid this on (snug fit). Looks like it works.

Ditto. I did the same for my CZ and my SIG. Interesting because the folks who make the replacement (slim) guide rod /spring for the Beretta and Sig (Buffer Technologies I think?) said they didn't offer a basic SHOK-buff for a SIG because there was not enough room to fit it in. Glad I didn't know that because I have been shooting one in mine for months that I cut from a 1911 buffer.