Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question about Beretta 92FS

kraigwy

To start with, I'm new to the Beretta. I was in the NG when they came out and refused to give up my 1911a1. I was in a position to get away with it with no one questioning me.

Fast forward 20 years. I found my self at a point where I have to qualify with one and carry it in Never Never Land.

So I bought one and started playing with it. I'm highly impressed and feel like an idiot for being so stubborn.

Which brings me to my question.

Is the 92 like Smith Revolvers, with a disconnecter, meaning, is there a block that has to be released by the trigger before the pistol will fire. Or if the hammer drops when the trigger is not pulled, is the firing pin blocked to prevent it from hitting the hammer.

Can the Berreta 92FS safely be carried "locked and cocked"? I've heard many people say they don't even use the safety.

Can the Berreta 92FS safely be carried "locked and cocked"? I've heard many people say they don't even use the safety.

If you replace the hammer release with a spacer, yes.

Don't know about the "safely" part, that's kind of subjective...

What those people are talking about though is carrying it safety off, hammer down.

Edited by DyNo!

I'm sure they have changed many times over the years. I bought a 92 FS when they first came out. It had a Decock lever not a safety if I recall. Dropping the lever dropped the hammer.

The 92 is a DA, why carry it cocked and locked?

Is the 92 like Smith Revolvers, with a disconnecter, meaning, is there a block that has to be released by the trigger before the pistol will fire. Or if the hammer drops when the trigger is not pulled, is the firing pin blocked to prevent it from hitting the hammer.

Beretta 92FS trigger & safety diagram:

http://www.berettaforum.net/vb/showthread.php?t=17497

. . . and no, you can not carry it cocked & locked. Putting the safety on decocks the pistol.

Beretta 92FS trigger & safety diagram:

http://www.berettaforum.net/vb/showthread.php?t=17497

. . . and no, you can not carry it cocked & locked. Putting the safety on decocks the pistol.

+1 correct a Taurus 92/99 100/101 can but not a Beretta

• 3 months later...

Yes, there is a firing pin block which is disengaged by the trigger. There is actually an external clue to its operation: a small rectangular block protrudes upwards from the slide (just ahead of the rear sight) as you pull the trigger.

A Beretta 92 FS with a slide mounted safety can be carried with a round in the chamber, hammer down, with the safety on or off.

Upon chambering a round with the safety "off" the hammer will be cocked. Acitivating the safety will lower the hammer (decock) to the double action position and the safety can be left "on" or flipped up to "off". If a round is chambered with the safety in the "on" position, the hammer will follow the slide down to the double action position (decocked) The safety can be left on or disengaged. Most LEO manual of arms with the Beretta 92/96 family of pistols dictated that Officers load the weapon with the slide locked to the rear and the safety engaged. The Officer would then point the weapon in a safe direction and release the slide. The weapon is then loaded and decocked with the safety on. Most agencies in this area then moved the safety to the "off" position and carried them safety off as a double action

A model that was decock only was also offered. I believe it was the 92/96 "G". The safety looked the same but was spring loaded. It worked as a decocker and went off safe as soon as you released it.