Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another 930 Turkey turned popper slayer

Nuke8401

After finally deciding not to wait on the Mossberg Competition model, I built my own, on the cheap. $448.00 Mossberg 930 turkey (#85235), $20.00 FFL transfer, 74.99 Nordic 5 round extension, 27.99 Nordic clamp, 29.95 Nordic bolt handle, 14.99 Carlson Improved Modified Choke, 34.99 Williams Universal Fire Sights, 4.99 JB Weld.

The 930 turkey came with the 24” ported barrel and a FO front sight, no rear. I chose to keep the ported barrel at 24” and formed a cover from shim stock to cover the ports. I used JB weld to attach the cover to the barrel and used the Nordic Clamp the compress the cover on the barrel. I shot about 100 rounds through it today, 25 Win, 25 rem, 25 fed Wal-Mart cheap ammo as fast as I could load and shoot, no problems. The barrel got pretty hot, I almost thought the finish smoking, the JB held, the cover and clamp did not move. I had read on another thread that some used epoxy on their clamps to hold them in place so I decided the epoxy would be OK for the cover. I also shot about 10 wolf buckshot, 10 high brass rem and sighted it in with slugs at 50yds using rem “slugger” rounds. My final group with the sluggers was about 6”. I have to get some reduced power slugs, ouch!

So for $655.90, I have a usable, semi-auto, 9/10 round shotgun with good quality parts, choke tubes and good sights. While it does have a 24” vice 22” barrel; I don’t think that alone will be the thing that keeps me from knocking Horner out of first place.

One last thing, what in the world was Mossberg thinking with the lifter? There is no way anyone in the company that shoots has loaded one of these guns. I should have the lifter welded up this weekend.

Now I can justify upgrading my AR!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The pics of the port cover don't show much. I painted it black with flat high temp paint before installing it.

I did take some pics of the pattern I used. I started with a piece 1.5" x 2" shim stock. The rail attachments are right at 1.5" apart and so is the width of the Nordic clamp on the barrel. So with the cover being 1.5 it is almost undetectable. I bent it around a 3/4" dowel to make it a spring fit on the barrel which is .9xx" OD. I slide it on the end of the barrel with the split facing up to clear the rail and then rotated it 180 degrees so the split is on the bottom to install the clamp. The clamp is a tight fit on the barrel and if the cover material is too thick you might have to open up the clamp by wrapping a rod on the barrel itself with emery cloth to sand the ID of the clamp. I did not have to modify the clamp. It is easier to install the clamp off the cover on either side of the cover and then slide it over and tighten it. I did not epoxy the clamp in place as I might need to install a plug occasionally. If I did it again I would add two short tabs to the cover, bend them 90 degrees to the barrel to hold the clamp from sliding forward under recoil. So far, about 100 rounds no movement.

th_2-21-2011012.jpg

th_2-21-2011013.jpg

th_2-21-2011014.jpg

th_2-21-2011009.jpg

David E.

Edited by Nuke8401

Jeff,

I like your loading port solution. I did notice that when loading the 930 you must make sure to get the shells deep in to the tube to catch.

Looks like your solution would solve this problem.

I think I’ll try it before I weld the lifter.

Thanks,

David E.

• 3 months later...

Hello, newbie to the forum here and I know this is an old post but wow, nice work, Nuke! I'm currently in the same boat. Got a great deal on a 24" 930 but wanna do away with the ports for 3 gun. You would think, buy now, either Mossberg would offer a non ported barrel or someone would have come up with a mag tube/barrel clamp that would cover up those 16 pesky holes. If I can find hunk of aluminum here at work I may try and make a clamp with my drill press and a bench grinder. Maybe I can borrow a 13/16 and a 1" drill bit from the guys in the shop. Although before I go and hurt myself does anyone know of a clamp that is already being manufactured that will do the trick. Mainly just looking for a cleaner solution that using shim stock...

Edited by stumpy1972

Stumpy, can't help you with the clamp. I am over 1000 rounds now with my set-up, all is well. If I had to do it again I don't think I would even epoxy the shim to the barrel. I would just rough up both sides of the shim and the inside of the clamp and I don't think it would move/slide.

David E.

Mossberg does offer a non-ported 24" now, you can call their customer service and order one. I got mine from them and it's great- good quality.

Hello, newbie to the forum here and I know this is an old post but wow, nice work, Nuke! I'm currently in the same boat. Got a great deal on a 24" 930 but wanna do away with the ports for 3 gun. You would think, buy now, either Mossberg would offer a non ported barrel or someone would have come up with a mag tube/barrel clamp that would cover up those 16 pesky holes. If I can find hunk of aluminum here at work I may try and make a clamp with my drill press and a bench grinder. Maybe I can borrow a 13/16 and a 1" drill bit from the guys in the shop. Although before I go and hurt myself does anyone know of a clamp that is already being manufactured that will do the trick. Mainly just looking for a cleaner solution that using shim stock...

Mossberg does offer a non-ported 24" now, you can call their customer service and order one. I got mine from them and it's great- good quality.

Just called, they are closed today. I'll give them a ring tomorrow. Just to be specific it's a non ported 24" ribbed barrel with tubes that you aquired? Do you mind if I ask how much it was? David's clamp fix may be the cheap way out :-) Thanks for your time.

Edited by stumpy1972

Just called, they are closed today. I'll give them a ring tomorrow. Just to be specific it's a non ported 24" ribbed barrel with tubes that you aquired? Do you mind if I ask how much it was? David's clamp fix may be the cheap way out :-) Thanks for your time.

No problem, yes, non-ported, 24" vent ribbed with fiber optic "bead" sights (red/green). No mag tube included, just get a Nordic. $160.

No problem, yes, non-ported, 24" vent ribbed with fiber optic "bead" sights (red/green). No mag tube included, just get a Nordic. $160.

Sweet! I'm definitely calling tomorrow! Hopefully I can get one shipped in time for the 3 gun on June 19th. Thanks so much for the info! Maybe I can sell my ported one to a turkey hunter to help pay for the new one :-)

I used Nukes idea and just clamped some 0.01" shim stock in the Nordic clamp. I annealed it with a propane torch and bent it around a socket to get the shape. I have shot ~200 rounds through it and it doesn't budge. One tip for the loading port if you have the equipment is to use a large ball end mill. It opens up the port, takes the edges off and if you run it forward almost to the mag tube it makes a nice radius which your thumb will like. I also took Nukes advise for the sights. My gun patterned high with the stock rear sight at it's lowest but got it spot on with the fire sights.

Thanks Nuke!

What number did you call, the one in TX or the one on the east coast? I called the 203-230-5300 # and the person told me they are all ported. I asked to talk to a supervisor and they said they would call me back.

What number did you call, the one in TX or the one on the east coast? I called the 203-230-5300 # and the person told me they are all ported. I asked to talk to a supervisor and they said they would call me back.

I used 1-800-363-3555, ext. 534 and ask for Edna. She is took care of the barrel and keeps in contact throughout the whole process.

Stumpy,

I just ordered a 24" non-porter barrel from Mossberg. It took a little over 7 weeks to get it. Just make sure you speak with Edna Perez. She is top notch and knows all about these barrels. She will also communicate any delays that may come up.

Stumpy,

I just ordered a 24" non-porter barrel from Mossberg. It took a little over 7 weeks to get it. Just make sure you speak with Edna Perez. She is top notch and knows all about these barrels. She will also communicate any delays that may come up.

7 WEEKS! I guess they have to custom make one for you? I'll give her a ring and order one but I have a 3 gun coming up on the 19th so I'll have to come up with something to cover my ports until the 7 weeks goes by :-) Thanks for all the help fellas!