Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mixing batches of powder

dejadoo

I'm at the end of my first pound of Clays.

How far down does everyone let their hopper run before adding a new batch of powder?

IMAG0510.jpg

During my last reloading session I randomly checked the drops and all was ok, but...

Do you just add new powder on top of the previous batch or would you dump this remainder into the new batch and mix them together?

If both containers are from the same batch of powder just dump the new on top of the old, however if the batches are different then you need to dump out he old and start all over working up your load again with the new batch of powder. There can be significant differences in powder density in different batches of powder so you should never mix them together.

Brian

First check the lot numbers on the powder jugs. If they are the same there is no issue.

When switching to a new lot of powder, it depends on what I was loading.

For a light or mid range load, just add more and keep loading.

For a hotter load, or when loading ammo for a major match, you have to chrono the new lot of powder.

First check the lot numbers on the powder jugs. If they are the same there is no issue.

When switching to a new lot of powder, it depends on what I was loading.

For a light or mid range load, just add more and keep loading.

For a hotter load, or when loading ammo for a major match, you have to chrono the new lot of powder.

The voice of wisdom....+1

I can tell you what I do (but you shouldn't listen to me):

1) I top-up the measure when it is about 1/3 full

2) When I get a new lot of powder, I pour the last few grains into the new one and shake it. IF I am loading max (never am, but some do), I work up the new max. Usually, I'll load a couple tenths low, the standard charge, and a couple tenths higher to verify accuracy.

I would never have a measure that empty, but if you check the charge weight, you can keep going until you can't get a full charge and throw that last couple of grains away, if you think it will actually contaminate your new lot.