Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Begining reloader

seadevil10

hey guys I am new to reloading an havent purchased any of the gear yet and was wondering of someone could let me know what to buy to start out. I will soon be reloading for my 40 cal limited gun and im gonna need something to feed the beast thanks gentlemen I really appreciate the help :cheers:

Welcome,

One of the best sources of info is BE's sale site, it just has a list on it, and will help you pick the loader you would want(no I do not work for him but did purchase from him :) ).

http://www.brianenos.com/store/dillon.650.html , this is where I started and it was a great help. You can look at the other loaders or read the comparison so you would determine which to buy(if you are looking at Dillon). I can tell you BE had the best prices and service, also after much searching I settled on a dillon 650 and never looked back.

+1 on the 650. I Started out on the RCBS Jr., then to the Dillon 550 (now have 2) and eventually to the 1050. Love that machine, but it is a little over kill for what I do. I probably would have saved a lot of money by just buying the 650 to start!

well my father has a single stage progressive reloader I think thats what he said. I would just need 40 cal dies. This would save money for awhile but it may hamper the reload process. Ive never reloader before so I do not know about measuring the power myself.

the reason I really like this idea is because he said I could have that setup when he buys his 650. he is really gonna need it to feed his new open gun.

Manuals! And a few of them too, you will need em to give you a good understanding how things work in most calibers not just in 40 cal, you will also need em so that you can cross reference your loads until you pick up your equipment to start loading... Good luck and be safe..

I just stuck with the list Brian has for the "never reloaded top notch" 550 package. I literally opened the boxes and was reloadeing 45 minutes later (i bought bullets, primers and powder earlier and some one helped me set it up). Even the person who helped me (he has a 1050) said my setup was perfect.

edit - take out quote

Edited by sfpmb

I just stuck with the list Brian has for the "never reloaded top notch" 550 package. I literally opened the boxes and was reloadeing 45 minutes later (i bought bullets, primers and powder earlier and some one helped me set it up). Even the person who helped me (he has a 1050) said my setup was perfect.

edit - take out quote

This is probably the best advice you could get. Buy one of those packages from Brian and never look back. Trust me, if you're only shooting 1 caliber (for now), the 550 will be plenty fast. I have trouble shooting all the ammo I reload.

Unless you're retired, or shooting is your job, you'll have more loaded ammo than you know what to do with. ;)

Good luck!

Here was my list off the top of my head!

1. 2-3 reloading manuals

2. A case or 2 of Montana Gold bullets of your choice, 4 lb jug of Titegroup, 5000 pistol primers.

3. Hornady Lock N Load AP, Dillon 650 . Research in that order. Buy the one that fits your budget!

4. Redding Pro Dies where the seating and Taper crimp are separate (for 5 station presses Hornady AP or dillon 650).

5. Powder check die or Dillon powder check system.

6. EGW U die. A resizing/decapping die available at EGW gun works. Google "EGW gun" for the web site.

5. Digital Calipers.

6. Digital powder scale from Brian Enos.

7. Case gauge for your caliber.

8. Case tumbler and walnut or corn cob media.

9 "Hornady One Shot" spray can of case lube.

10. Several one gallon ziplock bags to store the range brass you pick up.

11. An old coffee can to put the screw up rounds in.

12. Bullet puller to recover your screw up round components.

13. Dillon primer flip tray. It is the best.

14. CED 2 Chronograph.

15. A good notebook.

16. The correct shell plate if it doesn't come with your press.

17. Primer pick up tubes 2

18. Several plastic ammo boxes to store your loaded rounds.

19. A reloading bench in a quiet place to spend many many hours.

20. A second job to afford all the above.

That should set you up!

Edited by RobAckerman

1. 2-3 reloading manuals

2. A case or 2 of Montana Gold bullets of your choice, 4 lb jug of Titegroup, 5000 pistol primers.

3. Hornady Lock N Load AP, Dillon 650 . Research in that order. Buy the one that fits your budget!

4. Redding Pro Dies where the seating and Taper crimp are separate (for 5 station presses Hornady AP or dillon 650).

By6. EGW U die. A resizing/decapping die available at EGW gun works. Google "EGW gun" for the web site.

5. Digital Calipers.

14. CED 2 Chronograph.

15. A good notebook.

That should set you up!

Yup!! That is about right, mostly about #20

Edited by MARKAVELI

1. 2-3 reloading manuals

6. EGW U die. A resizing/decapping die available at EGW gun works. Google "EGW gun" for the web site.

5. Digital Calipers.

14. CED 2 Chronograph.

15. A good notebook.

That should set you up!

That is actually a VERY accurate list!!! Consider each item seriously.

Don't blow all your cash on the equipment and not have enough for primers, bullets, and brass. If you can't afford a GOOD press and the components, eat rice and beans for a few more weeks till you can afford it. You will want to actually TRY your machine and if you don't have the stuff to start loading, you'll get burnt out. You can easily spend as much as the reloading components as you do on the press. If someone comes to me and wants to start SERIOUSLY reloading right out of the gate, I usually tell them to save between $1200-$1500 then come talk to me.

I usually point them in the right direction with a list that's almost identical to this one.