Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Clays

dskinsler83

:mellow:

Have not messed with straight Clays and a bullet that heavy. Not a warm fuzzy there at all. Might I talk you into some Solo 1000? Have you visited Hodgdons web-site and their load data?

Jim

Me thinks you won't have good luck. I saw a girl at a match using that combination in an M&P and she had tumbling problems baaaaaaad. I asked her what her load was and she didn't know the exact load, but her husband had just loaded up the rounds using Clays to try out.

I've also seen the same problem with Titegroup out of a M&P9 with factory barrel and a Stormlake. That load also tumbled out of a G17. The solution to cure the tumbling was nothing but a powder change (loaded to the same velocity). There is some kind of weird juju with real fast powders and heavy lead bullet 9mm loads. I can tell you that WST works fabulously though. Low smoke and real soft...

Edited by Shadowrider

I hve reloading books just nothing for clays and 147gr lead...I know people r using it somewhere

:mellow: ...this should be telling you something.

Clays and 147's are on the ragged edge of risky and very bad news. Certainly no solution will be found there.

It's a free country so experiment to hearts content. But please, make dang sure your heads firmly wrapped around

this before you shoot matches with others close at hand.

Jim

Me thinks you won't have good luck. I saw a girl at a match using that combination in an M&P and she had tumbling problems baaaaaaad. I asked her what her load was and she didn't know the exact load, but her husband had just loaded up the rounds using Clays to try out.

I've also seen the same problem with Titegroup out of a M&P9 with factory barrel and a Stormlake. That load also tumbled out of a G17. The solution to cure the tumbling was nothing but a powder change (loaded to the same velocity). There is some kind of weird juju with real fast powders and heavy lead bullet 9mm loads. I can tell you that WST works fabulously though. Low smoke and real soft...

I've not been able to find any data on WST with a 147 leaf bullet either

You are getting the typical warnings from many on this forum. With that being said, I've used Zero 147 JHP's and 3.1 of clays for years in my CZ85. No signs of over presssure (WSR primers with an OAL of l.ll8) and a 130 PF. Clays is a fine shooting, clean, and safe powder. Just use typical reloading caution in working up a load for your pistol.

A-G

Edited by All-Gator

You are getting the typical warnings from many on this forum. With that being said, I've used Zero 147 JHP's and 3.1 of clays for years in my CZ85. No signs of over presssure (WSR primers with an OAL of l.ll8) and a 130 PF. Clays is a fine shooting, clean, and safe powder. Just use typical reloading caution in working up a load for your pistol.

A-G

Really WSR not WSP primers?

The rifle primers are a harder cup. I started using them "back in the day" when .38 supers at a PF of 175 definately needed them. I use them for all of my reloading (9mm, .40 cal, 9mmMajor, 9x23) out of habit, but there are advantages: Particularly, I find that seating the primer goes better/easier in my 650. BTW, I don't experience light strikes of which others complain. The primers are seated firmly and I use extended firing pins and a very light Koenig hammer.

A-G

Edit: I want to make sure you understand that Clays is fine for minor PF. Don't try to use it for major PF.

Edited by All-Gator

*snip*

Edit: I want to make sure you understand that Clays is fine for minor PF. Don't try to use it for major PF.

I think that was the issue here. Why shoot .40 if you're not going major? See my video on powder burn rates in the "Gallery". You'll see why overpressure can be an issue.

I've not been able to find any data on WST with a 147 leaf bullet either

I use a 147 grain hard cast bullet from a Magma Engineering mold. 3.5 Grains of WST at 1.120 with any standard SPP (I prefer Winchester or Federal) runs my 9Pro great. It makes about 129PF and it's so soft it ought to be illegal! I've loaded over 4lbs worth of WST using this data and not had a single issue.

Erik,

No arguement, but the thread was about 9mm. I load Clays for production which only uses minor scoring. My edit was directed at Clays not being appropriate for 9mmMajor. I use SP2 for my open pistols. And use 125's.

I've used Clays for .40 and had no trouble reaching a 165 PF without undue pressure signs: There was minor flattening and some barely detectable cratering. This was true for both 165's and 185's. My preference for .40's is VV340.

A-G

Erik,

No arguement, but the thread was about 9mm. I load Clays for production which only uses minor scoring. My edit was directed at Clays not being appropriate for 9mmMajor. I use SP2 for my open pistols. And use 125's.

I've used Clays for .40 and had no trouble reaching a 165 PF without undue pressure signs: There was minor flattening and some barely detectable cratering. This was true for both 165's and 185's. My preference for .40's is VV340.

A-G

My fault! Got my head wrapped around something else I guess :blink:

10-4 on unsafe for 9mm Major.