Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

17pound main spring

EkuJustice

When I switched to a 17lb spring the hammer seemed sluggish to me too. I ended up switching out the fire control parts to the ultra light speed cylinder and slide kit and the lighter hammer made a big difference. Not as instantaneous as a glock with lightened striker but definitely fast enough.

• 1 month later...

Tried a 17pound mainspring and the gun feels like the hammer is falling very slow now compared to a 19pound. Do most run the TI cap? strut? or the steel parts with the sub 19pound ssprings

just pay attention to how do you feel perceived recoil feeling in your hands and how flip your gun....

I would try 17's off and on. The main reason to run a 17 is to lighten the trigger pull, however it can also effect how you feel the recoil. Depends on your FP stop profile, but the main spring can effect slide speed a bit. If you have a good trigger with a 19, and like the way the slide cycles, it will be more reliable with the 19. If the slide feels sluggish you can reprofile the FP stop to still be able to use the 19. If you run the 17, be sure to install a longer firing pin and don't use an extra power firing pin spring, use a standard one.

• 4 weeks later...

I tried a 17# in my .45 Spartan (mainly bc i didnt have a 19 at the time and had one on order). had a couple of light strikes every time out and it gave me problems. got the 19# put in it and its set off everything since. I could have played with replacing other parts (hammer, etc) but changing back to a 19# seemed easier :)

I run 17 in both my 40 Edge and Eagle, no problem with CCI primers. Tried a 17 in my 9mm Sparten and like Corey I was getting some light strikes useing the same primers. Don't know if the primers we seating a little deeper in the 9 or what, but going to a 19# spring fixed the problem.