Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 Noob, need a little help on purchase please

bobcatt320

Hey guys need a little direction please. I've been looking at couple 1911's in 45acp. The STI Trojan or the Dan Wesson Valor. Looking to spend around $1000 or less if possible new, used even less. Anyone give me any advice on maybe which way to lean and why or maybe even another option in that price range. I like quality and understand that quality comes at a price, but for now all I am willing to put in it is $1,000.(I know the valor is a little higher). Plan on using it for competion once and a while. I generally use a Glock 34 for most competions, but thought it might be nice to have another 1911 as I sold the last one I had. I would like for it to be legal specifically in IDPA.

I have a Spartan. As far as reliability and accuracy are concerned, I have no complaints. However, the trigger sucks pretty badly. But then again, when I bought it, the shop had a Trojan in the case right next to it. The trigger on that wasn't any better. Both guns would have needed a new front sight for my needs. So basically the Spartan was about half the price and needed the same amount of money put into it as the Trojan would have.

Now, to decide who to send my Spartan to for trigger work.

Edited by Pro2AInPA

If you really want a quality 1911 at a value price I would recommend the new SA Range Officer. A few dollars to add a magwell and some quality mags and ammo. The RO is every bit as nice as my TRP witout some of the frills. I added some skateboard tape to the front strap as well. The RO is ~ $700, SA Magwell $69, skateboard tape $4.99 and 5 CMC Power mages $100. Add 1000 rds of Herters 230 gr FMJ for $320.00 and you are just a tad over a grand. ($1195) :cheers:

If you really want a quality 1911 at a value price I would recommend the new SA Range Officer. A few dollars to add a magwell and some quality mags and ammo. The RO is every bit as nice as my TRP witout some of the frills. I added some skateboard tape to the front strap as well. The RO is ~ $700, SA Magwell $69, skateboard tape $4.99 and 5 CMC Power mages $100. Add 1000 rds of Herters 230 gr FMJ for $320.00 and you are just a tad over a grand. ($1195) :cheers:

The Spartan is nicer than any of the sub $1k Springfields (except maybe the 9mm Stainless, which has a ramped barrel, a nice upgrade) and has more features for less money.

I own both, but I'd take the Spartan any day over anything less than a TRP.

Just went through the same choices. Wanted a RO, loved the Valor, thought about the TRP or Trophy Match. Held a Spartan next to the Duty One and bought the Spartan for $665 out the door. Still feal great about the decision.