Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ sp01 left side only safey

spanky

I'm more afraid that you'll be called for disabling of an external safety. I'm on my phone so I can't quote the rulebook at the moment. Appendix D-something for production division.

I don't see how that could be valid since the safety is still enabled and is still on the left side of the gun.

I keep reading the Appx D4 and going back and forth between yes you can, and no you can't.

Per Appx D4 #22.1: Disabling of any external safety or externally operated safety - Remains in effect – external- and externally operated safety mechanisms must remain operable.

By simply making it a Left side only safety, you are still satisfying this rule because it still functions as a safety.

However, further down is this: "For purposes of this clause, the prohibition on “disabling” means that you may NOT modify an external safety mechanism in any way that affects its function as a safety per the OEM design."

Since the safety cannot be applied from the right side, does this fall into the "affects its function as a safety per the OEM design"?

an RO can argue that you removed the ability to engage the safety from the right hand side of the gun.

this may be a good thread for the laywer area of the forum?

Appendix D4.22.2: Disabling of any external safety or externally operated

safety.

to defend yourself, you can say that the safety is a manual sear block that is externally operated. since it is still possible to externally engage it from the left hand side, it is still legal.

remember that production division has these rules as well:

Appendix D4.21 - Authorized modifications(Strictly limited to these items and their stated guidelines)

and

Special conditions — Unless specifically authorized above, modifications are prohibited. Except

for Item 7, revolvers are subject to all restrictions above.

Since it is not listed in D4.21 under what is 'strictly limited', if could fall under the special condition of being a non-authorized modification.

I keep reading the Appx D4 and going back and forth between yes you can, and no you can't.

Per Appx D4 #22.1: Disabling of any external safety or externally operated safety - Remains in effect – external- and externally operated safety mechanisms must remain operable.

By simply making it a Left side only safety, you are still satisfying this rule because it still functions as a safety.

However, further down is this: "For purposes of this clause, the prohibition on “disabling” means that you may NOT modify an external safety mechanism in any way that affects its function as a safety per the OEM design."

Since the safety cannot be applied from the right side, does this fall into the "affects its function as a safety per the OEM design"?

glenn and i are on the same page. i would be inclined to say that you have disabled the ability to engage the safety from the right hand side of the gun. additionally, you have performed a non-authorized modification by removing a factory part and not replacing it with a similar factory part. changing safeties is a specifically authorized modification, but removing one is not specifically authorized.

IMO the safety is not disabled.

I don't see any difference than taking a 1911 that has ambi-safeties and putting on a single side.

However, my concern is being in line with production rules. My question (assumption) is that if there is a CZ 75 (or SP-01) that has a left side only safety than it should be legal. Hence the thread.

If it's not legal/doesn't exist then I won't mess with it.

i agree with you to a certain extent, spanky... however i am looking at it in an objective manner. this isn't single stack, where 1911s are sold with both single side and ambi. right now, the model you have is "SP-01" and no SP-01 models are single side.

and no, grinding down the safety is not authorized.

because of the hole on the rhs safety that the lever fits into..the safety on that side would be unsupported and allow the sear cage to wobble a little which would change the engagement of the sear and hammer. it might be possible to weld up the sides of the housing so the fit is tighter, but would think under recoil since the ejection round hits the sear housing, it would still be moving.

only way would be to build a plug to support the shaft, but then you could arguably be making an external modification.

are you just looking to get slim down the extend safety? might try the ambi set out of the 75B .40 or similar which are the smaller rounded ones.

No just saying: if the rhs of the safety was supported without any modification. you are able to switch parts from one production legal gun to another legal gun. shouldn't be an issue to take a saftey from a 75B and put in a Shadow.

You know, the more I think about it, the more I can't see why changing to a left side only safety (or a smaller safety from a non-SP01 model) wouldn't be legal.

You can put a G34 magazine or slide release on a G17. The only commonality is that they are the same brand. They are obviously not the same model. How is that any different than putting a CZ75 or whatever it may be safety on a Shadow?

I understand there may still be a question of deactivating a safety but I honestly think that is pulling straws. My concern is from a parts-swapping standpoint.

I've got 4 or 5 matches through my Shadow and I still am having issues adjusting. I hate to have to dump it and go back to the 34 (but I will if necessary) but the Shadow has been kicking my butt lately.

Alright, John Amidon confirmed my thoughts on swapping safeties.

Any other components which are externally visible may ONLY be replaced with OEM parts which are offered on the specific model of gun or another approved gun from the same manufacturer except as specifically clarified below. Examples of external components which may only be replaced with OEM parts include (but are not limited to): magazine releases, slide stops, thumb safeties and triggers.

Which means the safety can come from any CZ and...

You are correct, you are not disabling the safety by making it a single sided safety.

So that leads me to my original question;

Is there a safety that's on a CZ that's on the Production list that is left side only and will physically work in the Shadow? Preferably without modification that would make returning it to stock not possible?

Edited by spanky

Sorry..I don't have all the parts in front from me.

best I can recall from looking a couple of photos.

No. the RHS safety is fitted into the frame. when it is removed it leave about a 1/4 hole in the frame where it fits.

to run a LHS safety only the shafte would fit through the sear housing and be left unsupported at the end.

if I recall my parts correctly you could run the lower profile SP01 RHS safety instead of the Shadow safety

http://shop.cz-usa.com/P-0420038418/Safety-Right-75-Sp01.aspx