Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

someone splain me this!

Mat Price

glock 34 lonewolf bbl craver 3 port comp.

OK yall being the extra cautions person I am I started working up my major load @ 7.5 grains and stepping up .1 grains at a time.

Now i know every one says start near 8 and work up, had I done that i would have been in a bind.

I made major with 7.7 grains of HS-6 @ 1.145 oal and a 124 grn dp jhp. 7.5 grains was bumping 160, 7.7 grains gave me 168 and 7.8 gave me 170. Using federal primers I was getting slight primer flatting. But if i was using a wolf or winchester i doubt i would see any pressure.

I guess because of the extra length of bbl I am getting faster velocities?!?!?

anywho. the gun wont run until i hit 7.5 grains with an 11lb ismi spring

Faster velocities than what?

My 9 Major gun makes 172PF with a 115gr bullet and 8.5gr of HS-6, but at 1.160". If I shortened it up to the OAL you're using, and went to a 124gr bullet, I'm betting I'd get 170PF pretty close to what you're seeing.

Every barrel is different...some are just faster than others. Lots of powder vary, sometimes considerably. Those two alone probably are more than enough to explain any differences you're seeing from what other folks post. R,

My latest crono out of a 5" sti (clark barrel no holes) 124gr MTG @ 1.165 with 7.7gr of HS6 w/ CCI SPM yes small pistol magnum primers 1401 fps average ES 5 SD 2 173 pf. That was a week ago. WIth 7.9 gr Win SPP it was only 1338 fps ES 60 SD 13 165.9 pf. I have a 5 1/2" gun with a Schuemann (new) that was only 5 fps slower. No pressure signs other than the corner of the primer is flattened a bit, The ES and SD are so extreme that I am planning another crono session to verify. The regular primer results are consistent with earlier tests I did a year ago.

In the variance cat, the guy that put me onto HS6 3 years ago that had been shooting 9 major for years said it does vary by lot. I'm not sure about the temp sensativity, I tend to try it then go to something else but this time I got 8#'s so I may just shoot it up. It took 3 years to use the fist pound. My 9 major powder is Silhouette and it is crazy reverse temp sensative, chunky dirty versus the soot dirty of HS6, which by the way with the magnum primers goes away in both.

An ES of 60 and SD of 13 really isn't extreme at all...if they were double that, then we're talking extreme. R,

Bart you are right on that point the SD of 2 and ES of 5 has me puzzled:huh: Like my mama always said if it sounds to good to be true it probably isn't.

An ES of 60 and SD of 13 really isn't extreme at all...if they were double that, then we're talking extreme. R,

Bart you are right on that point the SD of 2 and ES of 5 has me puzzled:huh: Like my mama always said if it sounds to good to be true it probably isn't.

Best I've ever seen on pistol ammo has been an SD of 4 and ES around 15. My normal loads that run twice that shoot tighter than I can hold, so I'm not worrying about it. R,

Yep Mat that is the result of your short C.O.A.L. and the extra barrel length.

Suggest you get your OAL in the 1.155-1.160 area and retest.

I can't get 1.55 to run in my mags 100% 1.145 does until the chamber is caked with crud. It's cool I was just wondering why I hit it so soon.

I am thinking about putting a 17 slide and bbl on it so I can run factory loads.

Jim

My latest crono out of a 5" sti (clark barrel no holes) 124gr MTG @ 1.165 with 7.7gr of HS6 w/ CCI SPM yes small pistol magnum primers 1401 fps average ES 5 SD 2 173 pf. That was a week ago. WIth 7.9 gr Win SPP it was only 1338 fps ES 60 SD 13 165.9 pf. I have a 5 1/2" gun with a Schuemann (new) that was only 5 fps slower. No pressure signs other than the corner of the primer is flattened a bit, The ES and SD are so extreme that I am planning another crono session to verify. The regular primer results are consistent with earlier tests I did a year ago.

In the variance cat, the guy that put me onto HS6 3 years ago that had been shooting 9 major for years said it does vary by lot. I'm not sure about the temp sensativity, I tend to try it then go to something else but this time I got 8#'s so I may just shoot it up. It took 3 years to use the fist pound. My 9 major powder is Silhouette and it is crazy reverse temp sensative, chunky dirty versus the soot dirty of HS6, which by the way with the magnum primers goes away in both.

Are you sure about that powder charge? I need 8.1gr to make 170pf with a 124gr MG at 1.165". I have two friends who need 8.3gr.

glock 34 lonewolf bbl craver 3 port comp.

OK yall being the extra cautions person I am I started working up my major load @ 7.5 grains and stepping up .1 grains at a time.

Now i know every one says start near 8 and work up, had I done that i would have been in a bind.

I made major with 7.7 grains of HS-6 @ 1.145 oal and a 124 grn dp jhp. 7.5 grains was bumping 160, 7.7 grains gave me 168 and 7.8 gave me 170. Using federal primers I was getting slight primer flatting. But if i was using a wolf or winchester i doubt i would see any pressure.

I guess because of the extra length of bbl I am getting faster velocities?!?!?

anywho. the gun wont run until i hit 7.5 grains with an 11lb ismi spring

I had the same exact figures with my Glock 17. Major at 7.7 HS-6. some failures to cycle below 7.5 with a 12# recoil spring. 124 JHP Montana Gold. OAL 1.165. Lone Wolf barrel. Seems too easy, doesn't it?

Edited by Jeff P

Are you sure about that powder charge? I need 8.1gr to make 170pf with a 124gr MG at 1.165". I have two friends who need 8.3gr.

Sounds correct to me. I'm getting 1400+fps with a 124CMJ over 7.9/8.0 gr of HS-6 at 1.170 OAL out of a 5" Schuemann without snot holes. Lovely powder.

Faster velocities than what?

Every barrel is different...some are just faster than others. Lots of powder vary, sometimes considerably. Those two alone probably are more than enough to explain any differences you're seeing from what other folks post. R,

+1^ I just got a "shorty" that runs my ammo 20-30fps faster than my trubor does