Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullet selection

SingleStacker45

After lurking around and doing some reload drills with my 686 and cut down comp IIIs I am finding it difficult to get the loader to line up with the cylinder. I'm doing week handed reloads with MG 158 grn HPSP bullets and wondering how much going to a round nose bullet like berry's might help? Is there another trick for indexing the loader to the cylinder I am missing?

Thanks,

Mule

After lurking around and doing some reload drills with my 686 and cut down comp IIIs I am finding it difficult to get the loader to line up with the cylinder. I'm doing week handed reloads with MG 158 grn HPSP bullets and wondering how much going to a round nose bullet like berry's might help? Is there another trick for indexing the loader to the cylinder I am missing?

Thanks,

Mule

The pointier the better IMHO. S and S Casting (available at Dillon Precision) makes a nice, pointy 160gr lead bullet. In molly coated Rudy at Billy Bullets makes both 160 and 170 gr bullets that are very nice. I am sure there are others but when it comes to reload time I want the pointiest bullet possible to help guide everything into the cylinder. YMMV.

-ld

Round Nose is the way to go. Fastest and smoothest reloads come from jacketed or plated bullets. Pick the profile that suits you like say a 115gr 9mm and go from there. You didn't mention the PF you were going for so I picked a good feeder for a minor load. I actually use 125 LRN 9mm's but I'm not looking for perfection rather cost effective high volume.

Just to echo the replies thus far, I use the 160 Moly Billy Bullet. It has more of a point to it. One other item to try is when reloading place your fore finger on a round in the loader and watch that finger go into the top of a chamber on your cylinder. When first learning the reload with speedloaders you should come to a point where the most time is taken up trying to get the thing to release. You will find that it will not release smoothly until you get proficient at getting everything lined up then it will take a quick move to release them into the cylinder. I relearned this when trying to do it slowly for a video. :sight: I hope you find this helpful. later rdd

Just to echo the replies thus far, I use the 160 Moly Billy Bullet. It has more of a point to it. One other item to try is when reloading place your fore finger on a round in the loader and watch that finger go into the top of a chamber on your cylinder. When first learning the reload with speedloaders you should come to a point where the most time is taken up trying to get the thing to release. You will find that it will not release smoothly until you get proficient at getting everything lined up then it will take a quick move to release them into the cylinder. I relearned this when trying to do it slowly for a video. :sight: I hope you find this helpful. later rdd

Thanks guys. I'll look to some round nose bullets. I have been studying your video Bubber and I know what you are talking about varying your speed when you can depending on the complexity of the movement. I'll try the finger on a round and see if it will help. I think my soft points are hanging up in the ratchet and or cylinder edge.

Mule

For me, the LRN is the way to go, I use a 198 gr lrn in my .38's and the profile and weight seem to help, my .41 mag loads are 249 gr lrn and my 45 acp for the 625 are 230 lrn, the heavier weights also lower the velocity to make power factor and keep leading to a minimum, good luck

OK. here is my best effort with 158g berry's in 38special cases to 1.5" Load shoots great. Rip it appart. As you can imagine there are many slower versions. It looks like I'm stuck at about 4.2 seconds shot to shot.

New guy reload.

Mule

Am I the only one that can't view this? Get all kinds of you need this and when I try to download it says I already got it. Sorry Singlestacker45 I'm not much help. :angry2: later rdd