Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aluminum compensators

BlueOvalBruin

Why aren’t there very many comps for 2011 open guns made from anodized aluminum? Pretty much all of the glock comps are anodized aluminum but the 2011 comps are made from steel, stainless steel, or titanium. It seems that aluminum has worked pretty well with the glock comps and it would be a lot cheaper and lighter than using steel or Ti in the comps.

I think it has something to do with erosion of the baffles when shooting major PF loads.

I can see that could be a concern, aluminum would be less wear resistant although anodizing can be pretty tough stuff. Has anyone with an aluminum comp noticed erosion from major loads?

Steel compensator is also needed to balance the gun.

I can see how a steel comp could be used as a weight to change handling dynamics if it were desired. Could you get a similar effect by putting an aluminum comp on a bull barrel? How about the case where people want less weight and opt for the Ti comp, could aluminum be a suitable substitute?

I highly doubt that weight is considered as a reason against using Al. I bet Bob at Brazos would have tried it in his search to get an Open gun to balance like a Limited gun. Primary reason not to use it is erosion.

Here's an Al comp: http://allchingunparts.com/details.php?prodId=33&category=6

Notice how long it's supposed to last.

I made several aluminum test comps a while back. I didn't notice much with balance...if anything, the gun felt like it swung quicker, similar to a shorty. However, I did have problems with erosion around the edges of the baffles, especially when shooting 9major loads. I currently have one of my aluminum test comps on my .40 open bowling pin gun.

Anodizing would add a lot of life to an aluminum comp. I've never anodized one so I can't tell you how much more life. I can tell you that I'd rather make a comp out of aluminum than steel. Aluminum cuts like butter so the work goes quicker, plus you don't eat up all your end mills.

Darren

Back in mid 90s we ran a bunch of aluminum comps testing out ports, etc. balance never seemed an issue, gun transitioned fine.

never went to the trouble of anodizing to see how longevity was affected.