Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pistol or Rifle primers for 9 Major

ChiefG

Getting ready to reload my first 9mm Major ammo. Did search and read up a good thread about 9mm Major load data. Took notice that both can be used for this ammo. Is there any advantage of using one over the other? I will be working up loads using HS-6 and Autocomp powder, 124gr MG JHP. I have both type of primers on hand and can go with either one. Gun will be a Bedell 5" Open, no poppel holes, Ti comp.

Thank you in advance...

Can go with either, but no holes and HS6 or Autocomp pistol is fine.

To give you an example my HS6 loads for 168PF in my long gun only make 155 in my short gun with holes, my short gun loads make 178 in my long gun.

As always start low and chrono for your gun.

The only advantage for me to using rifle was so I didn't mix my rifle and pistol primers on the same press. Something tells me a pistol primer in 223 would suck.

Edited by blkbrd

Loose primer pockets and rifle primers is a bad combo....totally eroded the breech face before

I knew it. I switched to SPP and paid more attention to how much effort it took to seat the primer...no more issues. Load is Win SPP, 7.9 grns 3N37, loaded long 1.18 oal, SVI mags and one of my open guns is a Bedell pretty much like yours.

I have shot major 9 for the last 5 plus years, the best powder that Ive found is Ramshot Silohutte for the montana gold 124 try around 7.2 gr and for there newer 121 I use 7.5. As for the primers beware of the rifle primers, make sure they are seated all the way in other wise they may be to high and are struck by the slide. Good luck

I have shot major 9 for the last 5 plus years, the best powder that Ive found is Ramshot Silohutte for the montana gold 124 try around 7.2 gr and for there newer 121 I use 7.5. As for the primers beware of the rifle primers, make sure they are seated all the way in other wise they may be to high and are struck by the slide. Good luck

welcome duckbutt..........what no slinky sig :)