Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady HAP Load Data

M.YANCEY

I have so hornady HAP .45 230gr I need some good load data please I looked everywhere trying to fine so good data. I am going to use titegroup powder. I also have some bullseye but it is a little dirty so I thought I would use titegroup this time. I was reading where the OAL was from 1.225 to 1.260 so that why I need some good data from you guys that shooting this type of load.

It's OK to use published load data for 230gr JHP...FMJ and CMJ for the bullet you have.

For instance. The Hodgdon load data site http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp shows a nice

Titegroup load of 4.4grns under a 230 gr Hornady FMJ with a C.O.A.L. of 1.200. Their data suggests that the

load will make major with ease. Personally I would start at 4.1 and chrono map it up.

Jim

It's OK to use published load data for 230gr JHP...FMJ and CMJ for the bullet you have.

For instance. The Hodgdon load data site http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp shows a nice

Titegroup load of 4.4grns under a 230 gr Hornady FMJ with a C.O.A.L. of 1.200. Their data suggests that the

load will make major with ease. Personally I would start at 4.1 and chrono map it up.

Jim

Thanks for the info I did not have a hornady load manaul but what I found i was not to sure of. Would power pistol be better for the type of load I am shooting? Is it cleaner then tite group?

Avoid a slow powder like Power Pistol for a bullet that heavy. Very bad juju.

General hint...

Light bullets like slower propellants

Heavy ones like faster propellants.

Jim

...edited to add. Others (may) will have differing opinions. These are my guidelines is all I'm sayin'.

Edited by Jman

The light bullet slow propellant, heavy bullet fast propellant only really applies to USPSA.. otherwise people may be barking up the wrong tree and may run into pressure problems. I know too many people who tried to use a fast powder for a cheaper way to load magnum performance ammo (44 magnum for instance) and got into trouble when they inadvertantly double charged it and didn't notice it. In fact you can likely triple charge some powders and not notice it in the gargantuan cases like 44 mag, 45 long colt, etc. It's only bad juju if you want to fire at a specific power factor and have the least felt recoil.. otherwise it is best to pick a powder that will overfill the case if double charged as an added safety measure.

The light bullet slow propellant, heavy bullet fast propellant only really applies to USPSA.. otherwise people may be barking up the wrong tree and may run into pressure problems. I know too many people who tried to use a fast powder for a cheaper way to load magnum performance ammo (44 magnum for instance) and got into trouble when they inadvertantly double charged it and didn't notice it. In fact you can likely triple charge some powders and not notice it in the gargantuan cases like 44 mag, 45 long colt, etc. It's only bad juju if you want to fire at a specific power factor and have the least felt recoil.. otherwise it is best to pick a powder that will overfill the case if double charged as an added safety measure.

Well if that is the case, It is easer to double charge with bullseye then power pistol because it uses so little of bullseye compaired to PP. You could tell if you over charged a case PP because it would be 12gr and the case would be close to full. You can double charge Bullseye and it is hard to see. I have some 200gr JHP would PP be ok with this type of bullet?

Avoid a slow powder like Power Pistol for a bullet that heavy. Very bad juju.

General hint...

Light bullets like slower propellants

Heavy ones like faster propellants.

Jim

...edited to add. Others (may) will have differing opinions. These are my guidelines is all I'm sayin'.

http://www.hodgdon.com/burn-rate.html

I guess this is where I got that from. I shows bullseye, and titegroup about the same and power pistol slower. But I read in another post that power pistol was used a lot with good results. I am going to be shooting these load out of my G21SF.

I refer you back to post #4.

And by the way. Titegroup is not dirty as far as I'm concerned.

It will leave some smudging on the brass....but that's about it.

We have used TG by the truck load around here for ions.

You're shooting a fine modern gun. Follow "published data"

and you're good to go.

Jim

I refer you back to post #4.

And by the way. Titegroup is not dirty as far as I'm concerned.

It will leave some smudging on the brass....but that's about it.

We have used TG by the truck load around here for ions.

You're shooting a fine modern gun. Follow "published data"

and you're good to go.

Jim

Thanks JMAN Iwill do just that.