Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

squib

mike woodwizard

today at the range i was trying to sharpen up on so shooting for the up coming uspsa shooting season while my girlfriend was shooting her charter arms revolver i had got for her, shooting some wad cutters that i had loaded she had a squib . i unfortunately did not notice and I SHOULD HAVE ! wearing two sets of plunges under the roof and picking up brass instead of making sure she was doing ok . so she not knowing what was up kept shooting . thank god she was not hurt ! so i have two wad cutters stuck in that short little barrel and cant not for the life of me get them out . dowels did not work. punches did not work . i went to the drill and here is the embarrassing part broke the cheap damn thing so now what ? i think i have done the damage and mite have to re barrel the gun but i really would like to get them out.

Edited by mike woodwizard

yah i broke the drill bit. no mercury on hand

Hmmm... since you have 2 WC "back to back" in the barrel, it might be a gunsmith job.

But if it were me. I would position the gun vertically muzzle up. Pour in some penetrating oil and let it soak for quite a while. Lock the pistol in a vice (with some sort of buffer) no steel on steel of course. Get a wood dowel and tap away. Be sure to tap towards the shortest end.. :-) if they are closer to the cylnder, work em that direction.. Muzzle end work em that way. Thats just my 2 MCGYVER cents for what its worth. Or.... We could do the "glass half full" thing. Have GF get ya new pistola!! Good luck.

8shots.jpg

:surprise:

Is your nickname "LUCKY"?

Better than LEFTY!!!

Been there... done that! Learning the ABCs of reloading in highschool... almost wrecked a perfectly good 6" Colt Python...

I just noticed yours is a COLT barrel as well. Says something about Colt!

My gun didnt suffer as much as yours. I still shoot it today.

Edited by JayTray

My brother-in-law did the same trick shooting my reloads. The first shot was a squib and he shot the cylinder dry. I didn't realize what had happened (should have) and was watching him thinking how well he controlled the recoil and wanting to know what the key was to his secret grip. Now I know.

The barrel bulged on the model 66, so I just had it replaced. Thankfully that was the extent of the damage!

I always figured that the fact that the loads were super light was both what caused the problem and why the gun didn't blow up.

Oh no... it's not mine.

But since I hijacked the thread, I'll stay afield and post Paco Kelly's pics.

plugged1.jpg

plugged2.jpg

I can't find the first hand telling of the story anymore and need to get it again.

Something along the lines of a VC popped out of a spider hole behind him and fired on him. He said he recalled the shots sounding muffled.

He opened up on the VC, killing him and he retrieved the revolver, finding it with the bullet sticking out. Later they cut the barrel to reveal the whole story.

Edited by cas

i'd put a red dot on it and move to open 6 in icore...(i think bubber has one like that)

michaels

Michaels I do have one like that but had to put it up, It seems the more I shot it the heavier it got and could not hold it high enough to shoot anymore. :roflol: You are just evil Mike... later rdd

michaels - give me the details on the reward. I'll turn Bubber in and split it with you. :sight:

I call statute of limitations, A man must know his limitations. MIne is spellin later rdd