Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady LNL indexing issue

Ok, here comes the frustration!! :angry2:

I have been loading on my LNL for about a year now, and it has developed an issue with my shell plate #8 for 9mm/38 super. The problem is, it will intermittently not index on a station in the plate. It will run through 5 or 6 fine, then hang up and have to manually be turned. There is no debris on the deck or in any of the ball detents, and it doesn't do it with shell plate #10. I would think it might be something with the plate, but it is random.

This is really causing havoc with my case feeder. I loaded 800 40 the other night without an issue, and I just tried loading 9mm. I couldn't get through 3 cases without it tipping one over.

Any ideas??

I have 2 LNL's set up, one running 40 and one running 38SC. Nary a hitch on the 38/9mm setup. I wouldn't even bother with trying to figure it out if it were me. Call Hornady 1st thing Monday and let them figure it out or replace it for you. They are great at customer service.

Try incremental adjustment of the pawls until they bring the shell plate all the way to the detent. Slow working of the press will tell you if the pawls are adjusted properly, it shouldn't snap the rest of the way into place.

If that doesn't work, and your other plates are good to go then maybe something is wrong with your #8 like you suspect.

If adjustment doesn't fix it call Hornady, they'll fix you up.

Edited by technetium-99m

OK, I marked the shell plate, and it always happens on the station with the mark, and the on right after it. The other 3 work fine. If I adjust the index pawls to make these two work, it is out of adjustment on the other 3, and my 40 plate #10 will no longer index properly. My guess is there is something slightly out of whack with my 9mm/38 Super #8 plate. I'll be calling Hornady for advice tomorrow. They have been a dream to deal with on the only other issues I have with the press, andI think rival the "blue press" guys for customer support :cheers:

Again, what got me looking at this was my case feeder. It will not put a 9mm or 38 SC case in the plate without tipping it on these stations.

Also, I had to use the #6 case setting arm .40/10mm, instead of the #2 that is supposed to be for 9mm/38 super , tipped every case no matter how I adjusted the case feeder. :blush:

The Hornady recommendations for the sliders seem to be off for most poeple. I found the same thing. It does help a lot to take a pencil and mark the area that the cases slide on with a pencil. Makes them slide a lot smoother and not tip.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know what the difference is between the 2 plates. I ran 400 rounds last night. The only issue I had was a few upside down and I got 2 jams in "drop" block that I'm sure would be because it is adjusted for 40 s&w cases not 38sc which are longer. Now to get press #2 so I can have a permanent setup for both calibers

I don't know what the difference is between the 2 plates. I ran 400 rounds last night. The only issue I had was a few upside down and I got 2 jams in "drop" block that I'm sure would be because it is adjusted for 40 s&w cases not 38sc which are longer. Now to get press #2 so I can have a permanent setup for both calibers

I was getting some upside cases as well. I took the casefeed plate out and sanded the burrs off the area around the holes. Seems to have made a difference. I think the roughness grabs the case to long and lets the case make it too far up the plate.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Got it figured out.....I took a phillips screwdriver and hammer and slightly pushed the bearings on the bottom of the plates in. Once I done that it stopped the jerking motion that threw my powder all over. Then when the handle is down i adjusted the two adjustments at the bottom that index. These needed adjusted about every 3-400 rounds to make sure it stayed the same. My press and I are VERY new at this and it seems to be putting out good for me.

I had to adjust the timing on mine with Shell Plate #8 for the first time in 10k ish rounds. Never had an indexing/timing issue until I started reloading 9mm on it.