Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1500.00 whats my best setup? basic Benelli, built 930, FN SLP

stoked4AA

I currently shoot a Remington 870 and have all of my shell holders those goodies. Accessories are not included in the budget. I want a second gun and it has to be a semi-auto and run on wal-mart federal target loads or similar lite and cheap loads. With a 1500.00 budget for my shotgun I’ve got a couple of option’s what do people think?

Option

1) Benelli M2 comfort tech 21” with Nordic tube and c-rum lifter then wait a year to have Benny Hill do all of the competition work.

2) Mossberg 930 with all of the Tactical Benny Hill work done to it.

3) FN SLP with welded lifter and sure cycle or similar system for lite loads

That’s my list I will purchase in 2 months or so…

What is the Benny Hill Mossberg all about anyone run one? Pics? Experience?

How much less maintenance is a Benelli vs. a gas system?

A variation on option #3...go to Cabelas and pick up a Winchester Sx2 with a 24 or 26 vent rib barrel for $550. Buy a nordic 10 rd mag tube (10% off). Now you can be legal at USPSA with a short plug or still have the ability to load 10 at outlaw matches that allow it. Have the lifter welded up or cut the prongs off yourself and dremel up the magwell opening to suit you. It should run light loads just fine on the light piston, but if it doesn't you can try the sure cycle system. Get a set of Truglo adj sights for the VR for slugs and you are good to go with $500+ leftover for practice ammo.

The upside is the gun is 1lb. lighter than the slp because of the slimmer barrel profile.

Having had both a Benelli open gun and an SX2 set up for tactical I don't notice any difference with respect to basic cleaning and maintenance. Both take minimal upkeep to keep them singing and both are relatively easy to work on.

Edited by smokshwn

The Benelli and the FN are both proven in 3-gun competition. You can't go wrong with either of them. Both require about the same maintenance. Both can be shot now and fine tuned later as you said.

Benny's Mossberg will be good to go well, he and Jerry have been fine tuning them for a while now.

If you can try to shoot each of them. The FN is a little heavier than the Benelli. Some don't like the way the Mossberg shoulders.

Welcome to the forum. All of these options will work well and you probably know one of the most important facets of doing well with the SG is to be able to reload quickly and don't miss.

I shot an FN SLP my first 2 years and it's a great gun.

I recently picked up a Salient Benelli and have no regrets. The Salient and Benny Hill Benelli are out of your budget. If you can save another $500-700, then I would consider these options.

Otherwise, I think the comment about picking up the Winchester is a good one. You will probably have to wait a while for the Mossberg. My SLP has never malfunctioned, and even though it's been demoted, I'm not getting rid of it. :cheers: :cheers:

The $550 SX2 looks like an old ad from the last black friday. Cabelas has them $900 plus now.

Amazing how prices have shot up with our 3% inflation rate. I paid $612 for my SLP MK II 2 years ago. It is a great gun but just a bit heavy, I need to either work out or go on a diet with a SX and lose a pound.

I'd go with the SX2/SX3/SLP/Browning Silver route. All are the same gun. Get the 24" vent rib if possible. Do what Smokshown recommended and rock and roll. You will easily come in under your budget and have a great gas operated shotgun.

ETA: I'd also heavily consider the 930. I've looked at this gun for the past year and taken it apart. Operating system is very similar to the Winchester SX2. Quite simplistic. Possibly pick one up with a 24" VR and add the tube yourself and do what else you can to make it game worthy. The 930 has Benny's support and what looks like Mossberg stepping up as well. Probably a very viable choice.

With your budget buy a 930 and extension and save almost a thousand dollars! I paid $429 for the gun, $80 for the Nordic, and $29 for the extension and then Nordic knocks off 10%. A Choate tube is only $40. Benny is saying 930 over Benelli now and the 930 is lighter than the SLP.