Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA Nationals

bkeeler

It's this week at John Shaw's range just south of Memphis in Mississippi. Safety Officers will probably shoot tomorrow (Wed). The rest of the shooters will shoot the entire match on Thursday or else split and shoot half on Fri and half on Sat.

My wife & I will shoot on Fri afternoon & Sat morning. She shoots Stock Service Pistol Expert. I am Stock Service Revolver Master.

Rumors are several of the top IPSC shooters will be there. I heard Rob Leatham, Todd Jarrett and some others. Of course I expect Ernie Langdon will be there. It will be interesting to see.

I have been to all of the IDPA Nationals and the courses of fire  just keep getting better.

I can give a report after we get back.

Bill

Bill,

SSR-Master...very impressive!!  And I thought Dave Jackson was quick with a revolver <he's shooting on the high side of SSR, almost a Master>  

Please let us know how it goes, and if you can let us know the top shooters for each category.

Bill

Dave Jackson IS quick with a revolver. He is part of my main competition. Him and a few others like Alex Zimmermann.

I use a Model 10 with speedloaders. I have to shoot real fast to make up for the slow reloads.

Bill

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Gentlemen and Ladies,

Just got back from the match. It was a great match, ran very smoothly and very fun, my props to everyone that had a part in making it happen, especially those who chased the rain away.

Unfortulantly, this was the worst I've ever done in a match. On the very first stage, something happened to where I did not even see a target, ergo, I did not even shoot at a target. That hurt a bit and threw off my chi for the rest of the day. On the stages I didn't blow, I did pretty good, but on the stages I did blow, I bombed them like it was my job. Well, I guess there's always next year:).

Jake,

Don't feel bad, that was definitely the worst major match I have ever shot; I finished about a second ahead of you.  I had a procedural, a no-shoot and a miss on Stage 15 and bad mojo followed me to the Standards where I dropped way more points (all low and to the left) than I did on all the other stages combined!!  But alas, there's always next time.  

It was a good match.

TGO shot a 169.xx, Scott Warren shot a 170.xx. There was only a .3 difference in their scores and Dave Sevigny shot a 170.xx with a .03 difference between Scott & Dave. Close. Alex Zimmerman shot a 199.xx and I had a 228.xx for second SSR. Sue was 4th Lady.

This was a thinking match. Many stages had a different number of rounds required on targets in the same stage. For instance: 2-2-2 in a room, 5 on one target backing to cover then 1 more on that target from cover & 2 on the last target from the other side of cover. Then the next stage right beside it in the same bay had you shoot 5 body and one mandatory head shot while retreating from a target before finishing the remaining targets in the scenerio with 2 shots each. Several stages required 3 shots per target and it was easy to forget and only do the usual double tap. Or for the more experienced the controlled pair. You had to be able to think and shoot at the same time.

The weather was beautiful. We thought LILI would mess things up. As it turned out the rain etc came through on Thursday night and by Friday morning is was sunny again. Of course GoreTex boots were pretty handy. I guess the prone stage was a little splashy for a while.

The SO's were all friendly and fair. The stages were well designed. IDPA wants the Nationals stages to be designed to let shooters take them home and easily set them up at local clubs. Because of that the props are not as elaborate as USPSA shooters are used to seeing at big matches. It takes some thought to be able to design stages that are a challange to all.

We had fun.

Bill Nesbitt

BILL,

Way to go.  Congratulate Sue as well!

"This was a thinking match. Many stages had a different number of rounds required on targets in the same stage."

...that is where the match experience comes in to play.  

(Edited by Flexmoney at 10:56 am on Oct. 7, 2002)

Tom, I have read Brian's book, what I should be doing right now is re-reading it:). I think match nerves had a bit of an effect on me, because that was my first match at the national level. Looking back on it though, I realize now that I was in no way prepared to shoot this match. Obviously I didn't expect to come there and win, the main reson I wanted to shoot this was for experience, but there's no excuse for shooting like I did.

bullseyekp, I know your pain. Looking at the carbon copies of my scores, if I wouldn't have made all the mistakes I did, I think I could have finished around 180-185. It's horrible knowing you can do better and watching your match go right down the drain.