Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IPSC reloads

dirtypool40

hitting some VP's at 10y yesterday I watched the reloads go from a best of 1.00 to a worst of 1.15. Draws were a little faster, .88 to 1.06. Light wasn't great though, I am going to hit this again Saturday to see if I can improve on it.

link wouldn't open for me.

Remember that second beep is also .30 long, so if you're barely getting the second shot off by the END of the beep, you're hitting a 1.60 not a 1.30.

Set your timer down to 1.0, then if you finish by the end of the beep, you're making a 1.30 par time.

Obviously not for matches, just to keep yourself honest in dry fire.

Keep at it. I am no speed demon, but I dropped a real .3-.4 off my IPSC Standard reloads through loads of dry fire practice. Probably the most time I had spent dry firing since I started.

There was a time, only a year ago, when I was hitting 1.50 reloads in matches. Now maybe a slump, coincided with switching to the "Standard" gear, but I definitely was sloooower than I am now, after loads of practice.

Now I am working on the focal shift to get them even quicker. I think it's easier to hit a quick draw than a quick reload in live fire, be it practice or match. Here's why; On the draw you can lock your eyes where you want the round and make the gun go there. On a reload you have to come off the target, make the load, and FIND the next target. Maybe this would make a good, separate thread.

link wouldn't open for me.

Remember that second beep is also .30 long, so if you're barely getting the second shot off by the END of the beep, you're hitting a 1.60 not a 1.30.

DP40,

I have checked the link and it works, I don't know why it doesn't for you.

Anyway, I have been training lately to react to the start of each beep, and check for it upon par time end, thus I'm pretty sure I am well within the 1.30 par time.

Thanks for the heads-up anyway, your progresses are a true inspiration to continue working. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

hitting some 15y VP's yesterday I saw improvement in my loads. I was faster yesterday at 15y than I have been lately at 10y.!!! :D

Don't know what the difference is, but I was averaging around 1.05 at 15, and had them as fast as .96 in the middle of a 12 shot string.

Something new was going on, I had this sensation of the gun getting HUGE in my vision when it was time to load, like I was zooming in on it. One of those altered states things I guess, a couple of times it looked like it would hit me in the face!!! :o

Never happened before, and I hit some slow to try and figure out what was going on, I mean was I really was yanking it up towards my face, in some new bad habit I was forming? :unsure:

Still no clue, but it was an interesting practice session. B)

• 2 weeks later...

Did some EPs and VPs today. (And on a few bucks off a couple Open shooters with my Standard gear!) If I can get one of those short mags seated in under 1.5 I'm a happy camper.

I have tons of respect for Standard shooters who can reload nearer 1.0.

If I can get one of those short mags seated in under 1.5 I'm a happy camper.

Erik,

I'm nowhere near to 1.0, but I guess having improved from a sluggish 1.8 to 1.25 in the last 6 months I can offer a bit of advice here.

First of all, it really helped me doing the Burkett reload drill and several others in dry fire practice. I learned about it from Steve Anderson's dryfire book, but credit goes to Matt for the drill.

Then, when seating the "short" mag, I always do it with the palm/web area of my weak hand pressing on the front of the mag pad.

In this last phase, I mean when the top of the mag is already inserted into the magwell, my hand opens (I'm no longer grasping the tube) to the position it has when forming the grip (for example during the draw): this way the weak hand gently slides onto the strong hand, acquiring the shooting grip without disturbing too much the sights alignment.

When I first started using the shorty mags, my hand hurt. I thought it was because I had taken a month or so off, but it's where I was hitting the mag when seating it.

I think a lot of it is in the grab. Again with the disclaimer, I am no super world beater, but I have worked hard on reload this past year or so. Anyway, the inside corner of the base plate rests in the fold, like if you touched your thumb to your pinky.

Seating is tougher, but like anything else, seems normal once you've done it a while. In fact now that I am used to it, the long mags and huge magwell seem odd.

I have a bandage on my left hand, covering a missing hunk of flesh from a Standard reload gone bad. The rear left corners of the pads are hitting that spot in my palm, near the fold from the thumb.

I managed a few sub-1.5 reloads today on a 7 yard target. But I'm just going to have to concede the Columbus Cup to Phil or Estuardo. :)

I have a bandage on my left hand, covering a missing hunk of flesh from a Standard reload gone bad. The rear left corners of the pads are hitting that spot in my palm, near the fold from the thumb.

I managed a few sub-1.5 reloads today on a 7 yard target. But I'm just going to have to concede the Columbus Cup to Phil or Estuardo. :)

did you at least wipe the blood off the inocent mag

MVZ

• 2 months later...

Quick "tough guy" story. Of course I'm only telling it because, well, I looked tough. :P

So anyway....I got "called out" at a match the other day.

So I'm shooting my open gun in my second open match ever (and having a blast by the way ;) ). I am having trouble seeing the dot with my eye "thing" but I hit a .95 draw on this "crambo" stage. The guy running the timer noticed the first shot and told me.

Next stage we shot the classifier and I was coaching my boss, a solid "C" shooter. He shot the classifier nice and clean, his draw was 1.50 his reload a 2.75. I pointed out that he should work more on reloads until it averaged pretty close to his draw.

The shooter who ran me on the last stage heard this and challenged with "So I guess that means you have a .95 reload??" <_<

It struck me wrong and before the verbal sensors could engage I shot back "Yeah, wanna see it? " :angry: Ok, so that wasn't a spiritually creamy way to respond, my bad. :unsure: I'm not normally like that, but it was a reactive thing to say to a challenge. I shoulda laughed it off.

So anyway....

We were done with the classifier quickly and were waiting on the next stage, so I went to the car and grabbed my standard gear. I have not practiced in 10 weeks or so (the eye problem continues). I LAMR with a couple of dry loads to remember where everything is, then I take a beep.

.91 first shot, .17 split, .92 reload, .18 split. 2A / 2C.

He was incredulous. :huh:

I back it up though, the next two loads were .87 and .86. B)

Needless to say after zero practice for a couple of months and being put on the spot like that I was pretty stoked to snap those off right out of the box.

Damn I miss standard and wish I could see.

Next year damnit.... <_<

reposted in "What I like" to avoid thread drift.