Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Borrowed my old cheapy SSTK gun....

kreativecid

I sold a nicely set-up and well-fitting 1911 to a good friend about 4 months ago and used the funds to purchase a more expensive 1911. Both are pure game guns.

The newer gun cost about 2.5 to 3 times more but has the same grips and action job so it was an easy reunion. It does have a .100 f/o front as opposed to the billboard sized .125 dirty & dim f/o on the old one.

Today we were at the range and I took my old/his new gun for a spin, and according to the Pact timer my splits and overall times were pretty much identical. :mellow: Scoring was pretty much the same. <_<

I hid my shock to the friend but deep down I had some remorse and almost felt like I am an idiot for spending almost 3 times more. The newer gun of course has all the accolades of tighter fit and quicker front site acquisition.......the usual marketing blabber. It is indeed a much better looking gun: when I take it out the ooohs and aaaahs follow.

New guns and buying new guns is always nice, but I'm a practical guy and would rather have an ugly and inexpensive gun that was reliable. More go, less show. My new gun is a go-er yet has more show....and more digits in the price. I actually thought about asking my friend to buy my old gun back and selling the newer one for no loss (got a screaming deal to begin with). I know he won't sell nor trade. Why would he get rid of an inexpensive pistol that performs just like one costing 3 times as much? Oh well, live and learn.

If presented with the same "sell old vs buy new" choice in the future consider keeping the old but getting it done up a bit :surprise:

That's what I'm doing to a very servicable franken gun for far less the cost of a new one setup the same. It's going to be a sexy beast :roflol:

Maybe you're expecting the new gun to show improvement all by itself. It falls to the driver to exploit the potential of his machine. My M&P is a better gun than my Glock. Not by much, but those shots have been worth the expense. Anytime I've upgraded my equipment I've seen my marginal shots improve more than good ones.

Just playing devil's advocate here. I don't know the OP from Adam. By the time I sell a gun, I've convinced myself that I never want to see it again.

Respectfully, GB