Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Polymer, aluminum, or Steel grip for 2011 frame

818-DVC

I'm on my phone so the search option isn't Really working.

I can't do a poll either, but I wanted to know how you like your new Aluminum STI, and Bedell grips, or your new SV guns with their new carbon or stainless grip/magwell combo compared to the OG polymer grips of yesteryear. I'm particularly interested in a stainless signature grip with aggressive micro pockets.

I have shot all 4 material grips, and I'm trying to justify buying one. I really love the feel & contouring abilities of polymer. This is not a STI vs SV thread, but a materials & price. comparrisson. Would love to get some feedback. thanks

JL

Just buy a gun and shoot it for the next two years. Figuring out what you want isn't something the guys on the forum can answer for you.

It takes experience and a lot of rounds before you really learn what you like. I shot limited almost all last year and the only thing I really discovered is that I'd be better off with a heavier limited gun.

Even borrowing one and shooting it really doesn't tell you anything. Time behind a gun and your own comfort level with your equipment is what will help you determine this.

In fact, you might end up like me and start looking at yourself for the improvement instead of the equipment.

In short, get one and practice.

I have plenty to practice with. It's for a new build I'm doing mostly myself. I don't know if I want to fork out that kind of money to build a new gun with a grip & magwell that cost as much as a long wide frame & magwell of my choice.

I also don't care for skate tape on a $400 grip, but don't know how aggressive these micro pockets are and what people are feeling about the new grips.

Functional or fad?

I like polymer. What about you?

Thanks R, I know your getting tired of doing peoples searches. Have you shot an aluminum or steel grip?

WMW: have you shot a new SV gun or STI aluminum grip?

Is it just me, or are steel grips just really heavy, but don't really suck up any recoil impulse. Is the softer perceived recoil of polymer just me? Does the heavy steel grip feel too heavy? I know I read people "learned" to like them? I

have an SVI Frame & Slide to build a sight tracker. If more like the steel grip than the Aluminum or than polymer please share your opinion.

JL

I shot the polymer gripped guns for a couple of years and had good luck with them. Bart was kind enough to stipple, reduce and double undercut one for me and it's still going strong on my 9mm.

But for me, the polymer grip just can't compare to the steel signature grip. It feels awesome, gets my hand as high as possible on the gun and with the new larger mag well feels even better. Personally, I like the added weight in the grip. It makes the pistol balance very well for me.

I prefer the 120 grit, grip tape, so that I can change the look of the pistol for just a couple of bucks. The aggressive micro-pockets are very aggressive. So much so, that I'd like to shoot about 400 rounds through one to make sure my hands could take it.

"The aggressive micro-pockets are very aggressive" Yes they are, a fellow shooter had a new open gun with this grip and let me play with it.

I would call this grip a blood donner grip, it was sharp, had like minnie points on it. This coming from a guy who likes the factory STI grip

just undercut and some Progrip

Edited by sauza45

Cant open the links..

Fixed them...they should work now.

To answer your earlier question, yes I've shot both Limited and Open guns with them. They shot the way I would expect them to with the added weight. Whether that's better or worse depends on the individual shooter. They don't feel nearly as good in hand as grips I shape and stipple to fit my hand.

The fads go in cycles. One was: bull barrel, long/wide/heavy dust cover, and tungsten guide rods...that was popular for a while. There was: standard frame, extra light slide, make it as light as you can...that had a following. Then we got: 6" gun, but make it weigh no more than my super light 5" gun. Now we're getting: I want a light top end, but more weight in the grip....oh, the weight in the grip makes ALL the difference.

Yeah, yeah...whatever. Shoot the snot out of any of the above, and you'll get better. Look at the gun Nils won L10 with...long, wide dust cover, unique cut slide with moderate lightening done to it....that setup was more popular a few years ago. I guess nobody told him he really needed a 6" gun, short dust cover, with a heavily lightened slide and a bushing barrel....maybe he should come listen to some of the experts here :lol:

Nils gun is very similar to what I shoot and am building. I love LDC guns with tungsten guide rods btw. As do I love my polymer grips. If I didn't have a new/old infinity frame & slide, SV trigger parts for for CHEAP, I probably wouldn't even be asking.