Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Draw and Reload times

DaG

O.K. guys, need some input here. I am a low B class open shooter 62.4 %. My draw times at 7 yds av. 1.0 to 1.1 with A hits 80% of the time. My reloads av. 1.2, (even though I hit a .99 reload today and bout soiled my pants, felt real good.) Are these slow times for my class or am I about where I should be? Thanks for any input.

Darren

I don't hink that is all that slow. I am a high B class L-10 shooter, and my reloads are A LOT slower than that 1.4-1.7, and my average draw is closer to 1.2-1.4. Sounds like you are plenty fast enough on those two areas. How are you transitions? Splits between shots? What percent of your hits during matches are A's? How well do you plan your shoot, and then shoot your plan? ;)

Nick and TriggerT

My splits hover around .18-.20 . My transitions though are horrible. .25-.30 . TJ once told me that the speed of the draw dictates the speed of the stage. Then he said splits mean nothing. So I'm kinda lost if I am where I should be for my class/percent.

Nick and TriggerT

My splits hover around .18-.20 . My transitions though are horrible. .25-.30 . TJ once told me that the speed of the draw dictates the speed of the stage. Then he said splits mean nothing. So I'm kinda lost if I am where I should be for my class/percent.

Wow, I am supprised that is what TJ said. I am not even close to having the experience, ability, or knowledge that he has, but in my little universe I would not agree. Draw, splits, transitions, movement, good hits, in short everything coming together, is what makes a good stage for me. :huh:

I agre with Ron.. your draw & RL times are plenty good enough for M. Is that a practice one-shot draw or in a match? In a match I'm doing well to draw in 1.1 or 1.2 while I can occasionally crack .8 in practice.

I've heard TJ say that the first shot dictates the rest of the stage, but that was all about getting a nice smooth, well focused A-hit first off, and not about how fast you crank it out

DaG,

More A's and faster transitions are the real ticket. Splits and transitions should be very similar within target arrays. The draw and reload times you mentioned are fine, great even. It's all about shaving tenths within the shooting and getting more of the available points now that most of your fundamentals are fairly well honed.

Take it from someone who is working on the same set of hurdles. I made a big breakthrough recently by working doggedly on my shooting cadence across multiple targets, and by doing a lot of dry fire while walking on my treadmill. Reducing the time between shots in a COF through efficient movement with appropriately fast splits and transitions is where all the rest of it is at.

Shoot faster, and get more points! Easier said than done B)

BTW, Eric Grauffel's splits and transitions are nothing to really write home over (.2 to .25 ish), he just never stops shooting. It's like a really loud metronome. He is always on his way to the next A, and then the next thing you know he is done! Watch some video of him and you will see what I am talking about. Smooth & efficient, always shooting, always moving, but he can stand and deliver too!

--

Regards,

Edited by George

Transition times obviously depend on the spacing between targets, whether you are going near to far or far to near, distance, etc. In general terms, the draw, reload, split, and transition times you mention will get you M class scores or better on every classifier in the book if you put them all together and get 90% of the points along the way.

I think you may have misunderstood TJ. I just took a class with him and he hammered home "The FIRST shot of a stage dictates how you will shoot the rest of the stage". I mean he said this a lot. I'm a GM and your draws and reloads are fine. This game is not about draws and reloads, it's about efficient motion, from start to finish, with some accuracy in there.

Sure. What TJ meant was that your first shot will set the tone for the rest of the stage. He says he wants a "Kodak" moment on the first shot of every stage. He has a perfect sight picture and see clearly what he needs to see. That will allow him to get into his shooting the stage without the extra anxiety of flinging the first shot and then trying to calm down. Now TJ does this still with great speed, but his vision on that first shot is crystal clear. A good example; have you ever shot a steel stage where you nail the first steel and then the rest just seem easy? How about the same stage where you miss the first one, then it's like popcorn, either hit or miss. Settle into the stage by making the first shot count. Yes they all should count, but the first will set the stage.

Hope that helped.....

Yep, I know what you mean. I love setting up stages where you have some close targets, then transition to long shots or shots with hard cover or no- shoots. Really shows who has the control, both visually and physically to make the shot.