Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Front Block

yuthh

I'm guessing that Limcat hasn't built 500 of these units, or submitted the paperwork to USPSA.

I agree that the 500 unit requirement should go away in limited. I'm not sure that it is stiffling much creativity, but I don't see what purpose it serves either. It seems like at most matches if you are shooting a 2011 variant, you can do whatever you want and no one asks any questions anyway.

The way I read Johns response in post 25, it's not enough to be like something already being manufactured. Unless Limcat has made 500 units, and submitted the paperwork to USPSA, it's not legal.

From Appendix D2:

Special conditions:

— Any complete handgun or components with a minimum production of 500 units by a factory and available to the general public.

— A complete handgun may be approved for USPSA Limited Division after the NROI Manufacturer’s Declaration form stating that a minimum of 500 have been manufactured and available to the general public has been submitted and NROI has inspected the handgun for compliance.

I'm guessing that Limcat hasn't built 500 of these units, or submitted the paperwork to USPSA.

I believe the reason this was deemed legal for limited was that it was close enough of a copy of the sti trusight. Only the short frame version though.

I'm also pretty sure there's been more of these built than 6" paras or springfields. ;)

Edited by ong45

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be legal. The ruling on the sight trackers is pretty specific. Has to be a wide body S_I frame with a ribbed barrel. That is something else.

There is an Amidon ruling on these in Front Sight....

A what?

I don't get too picky when people confuse class and division, but "rulings" only come on the USPSA Rules website, right?

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be legal. The ruling on the sight trackers is pretty specific. Has to be a wide body S_I frame with a ribbed barrel. That is something else.

There is an Amidon ruling on these in Front Sight....

A what?

I don't get too picky when people confuse class and division, but "rulings" only come on the USPSA Rules website, right?

That's correct as I understand it.

Rulings are published on USPSA.org and are vetted by the Board of Directors prior to posting.

Clarifications are published in Front Sight, for those rules they feel have no true ambiguity, but are widely misunderstood.

I'm actually unsure if we need a ruling. I'm thinking that DNROI just needs to notify the membership that he has received certification from the manufacturer that the required number of units have been built. Of course I could be wrong about that....

Now those notifications are often posted along the rulings, so that they exist in one convenient place -- but a rules interpretation they're not....

FYI, I just got off the phone with Mr. Cominolli. A very nice helpful guy.

He said that right now he is selling the Front Block set up as a kit to be installed by your gunsmith and will include what sounds like very good instructions for installation.

BTW, the Front Sight article mentions a question about whether the accuracy of the Front Block is as good as the Sight Tracker set up. I can tell you that there are a bunch of Bianchi Open guns out there with a similar way of holding the front of the barrel when the slide/barrel are locked up. The system is very accurate. I'm sure as good as the sight tracker. Both keep the front of the barrel and front sight stable and tightly together.

I will be interested to see what the Front Block system weighs. Mr. Cominolli said he would get back to me on price of the kit and weight of the block.

Chris

FYI, I am not able to edit my last post with this info. Flex gave me the okay to post this info once I got it from Mr. Cominolli.

This is the response I got from Cominolli about the weight of the front block and the cost of the kit:

/Chris:

/

/The front block weight is 3.0 OZ.

/

/I am going to let my first batch of Front Block Kits go for $225.00 each.

/

/Thanks

/Joe Cominolli

This is posted just in case anyone wanted the info. I am not selling these and this is not intended to be a for sale ad. I am just forwarding info I got by email when inquiring about the Front Block setup.

Chris