Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.223 should I?

Paul-the new guy

I have a XL650, I have loaded a few hundred rounds of .40 S&W and I have all of the stuff I need to load .223 but I am reading on here quite a bit and it looks like it may not be the easiest thing to load on my new press... I have Varget powder, Ramshot TAC and 8208XBR, I think that is it any way. I know the 8208 will meter ok because it is very small grain but I only have enough of that for about 100 rounds. I have loaded .223 on my single stage, around 1000 rounds so I understand the dynamics I am just worried about the powder not metering properly and the bullets getting hung up in the seating die etc... Any tips for me?

Even Varget will meter ok. There's some thread you can search for on what people have done to help it work smoother. It worked fine for me when I tried it.

I think the most common problem, people don't wait long enough for the powder to drop. Fill a case up, turn it upside-down, see how long it takes for the powder to come out. You need to allow at least that long to get it in there. lol

If you have military brass, the biggest problem you'll have with a 650 is if you have crimped primer pockets. Lots of threads on ways to fix them or you might look at getting pre-processed brass.

Boat tail bullets seat easier, but anything works. You can look at beveling the case mouths, see if it helps you, some people swear by it. Really, it's just what works for you.

I do prefer the Redding Competion Seat die.. but the Dillon is ok (I think I tossed out any Leee rifle dies, hated them)

Ditto on the AA2230, nice flake powder the meters evenly. Make sure your case preperation is correct, especially OAL of resized brass, to avoid headspace issues. My pet load is 24.5 gr 2230, 55gr FMJBT, CCI. This is accurate, easy on the gun and the brass, but work up your own load. Varget is good for the heavier bullets, 68-69, etc., but you'll have to polish the powder die funnel to avoid the sticks of powder from getting stuck. Good luck.

H335 flows real good in the Dillon measure. I would save the Varget for bullets that are a little heavier. If you use it for 55gr bullets, the case is so full that a little powder will slosh out. That is ok untill it builds up in the primer system or somewhere else, and things come to a screeching halt. If you want to load a ton of 223 the EASY way, order brass that is processed and primed from Scharch, dump about 25gr of H335 in it, with a 55gr MG, and just crank the handle. It can't get any easier.

25 grains of Varget only comes up to the inside shoulder of the case. this is for a 55 grain montana gold . I've never had a problem with the powder getting flung out the case especially on my 650 with its autoindexing shellplate and kinda abrupt stops.

I can hear it drop through the dillon powder measure/die so I only bring the handle back up when the noise stops.

A'yup, if you spill enough powder by accident it will jam up the primer carousel on the 650. it kinda sucks because you have to remove the wire ejector, the shell plate, and then the whole primer assembly, blow or wipe out the kernels of powder and then put it all back together.