Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

best 45acp loads for kimber 1911

soe400club

I have two Kimbers and load 200 grain LSWC over 4.15 grains of clays. These are Missouri bullets. I have also loaded a

230 grain JHP over 4.0 grains of clays, these were Montana Gold. Both very accurate.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Excellent info there. Just wanted to throw this out there, and probably echo a few people - 3.8gr Clay's under a 230gr LRN is a very nice load. Soft shooting, pretty clean (for lead) and makes major comfortably.

This is out of a KImber Custom II as well.

Edited by soundwave

I shoot 4.8grn of titegroup using 200gr Bear Creek SWC. I have, in the past, used 231, WST and Clays. I liked the recoil using titegroup the best plus I am cheap and can get titegroup for about $2 a pound less than Clays. I load to 1.234oal and make sure that there is no edge from brass to bullet when crimping. I have shot thousands and thousands of Bear Creek 200gr SWC and a few hundred 200gr Hollow Base RN bullets through Kimbers, both full size and pro models. Accuracy wise they are more than acceptable and with the moly coat they don't smoke too bad using titegroup.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a Kimber TLE 2 Custom that is a Commemorative model but its a shooter not a shelf gun.

Guys and Gals here suggested to me a while ago to try Clays for 200gr SWC bullets (Precision Bullets) and I have shot 4.1gr of Clays with that bullet and have had good results.

I'm ordering some Titegroup and Accurate powders to try them out and see which one I like the best for my .45

To set my OAL for the seating die? I cheated.

In carpentry I learned the rule for measuring which says : "Never measure unless you absolutely have to."

I had ordered the same round (200gr SWC) from Black Hills Ammo.

I took their factory round and placed it in my press and ran it up into the die with the seating portion backed out.

I then lowered the seating rod until it just touched the bullet.

Tightened everything up and loaded a few rounds.

Looked them over and compared them to the factory ones and there was no discernable difference.

Took a bunch of them to the range with my BHA rounds and shot them.

Everything worked just fine.

Maybe theres guys out there now gasping and saying "You can't do that!" and maybe they're right....but I did it and it worked.

Murphy's Laws for combat: "If its stupid but it works then its not stupid."

Hope this helps you out a little.

JK

Edited by JKSNIPER

• 2 weeks later...

Try again with attachment.

I am using 3.8gr Clays and a 200gr lead RNFP from Missouri Bullets in a Kimber Target II.

The small group is with my forearm on a sandbag about 4" from my wrist, the larger is "offhand".

Both are 5 shots at 25'.

post-25903-082612600 1300761226_thumb.jp

I am using 3.8gr Clays and a 200gr lead RNFP from Missouri Bullets in a Kimber Target II.

The small group is with my forearm on a sandbag about 4" from my wrist, the larger is "offhand".

Both are 5 shots at 25'.

Nice group! Too bad it doesn't make major. :surprise:

Both are 5 shots at 25'.

Nice group! Too bad it doesn't make major. :surprise:

That's right.

Strictly a comfortable and accurate practice load that I liked when "trying out" Clays.