Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can you double charge a 9mm?

midvalleyshooter

Ok, heres the deal. Duane Thomas made this post on this thread: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=120096&st=25

Its post #33, the bottom line is it possible to double charge a 9mm? I tried it with the powders I have and Duane could be right as I could not double charge any of them. I'm thinking it may be possible with Titegroup or some other low volume powder I'm not familiar with.

Thanks in advance and I hope I get answers as I am curiousbiggrin.gif

Keith

Double charge?? I don't think so. :unsure: But I could be wrong. From my short experience I've reloaded with Titegroup and currently with N320 and I don't think I could fit over 6 grains into a 9mm and still seat a bullet. The same goes for Titegroup as I would average about 3.2 grains to make PF around 130, sometimes a tad lower but still over 125. An overcharge is possible but I can't see a double happening in 9mm. Interesting thought tho.

I suppose it all depends on what your single charge weight is. I believe that 6.4gr of TG will fit into the case. But you are highly likely to notice it.

I have run as low as 3.0gr of TG with a 150gr projectiles. But to get 6gr in and then seat a bullet would be difficult. Not sure how much you can compress TG, but a 150gr bullet sits in the case a fair way.

So my answer is possible with a few of the very fast burners that you may be using to down load heavy projectiles. But with normal loads there would be a fair amount fo excess powder spilled al over the machine, the case would be filled to the brim and you would have to notice that.

However Norma R1 can fit 6.6gr in, a load of 3.0gr is very high pressure with a 125gr. You could possibly (but very unlikely) double charge that and still seat a 115gr without noticeing the high powder level. That would be very dangerous. I consider R1 too fast for 9mm under all circumstances even at the low level I tested it at. So not using it woudl be a good idea in any event.

Keep an eye on the powder level and get to know what looks right.

Not AFAIK with any common powder used for 9mm. 2x charge would ether overflow the case or fill it up leaving no room to seat bullet. If you do visual QC for charged cases or have powder cop die - you will never miss it. Low charge or no powder are farly common thou.

IMHO, since powder measures throw powder charges by volume, one can 2x charge only if they do mess up, not the equipment.

You could go to a low density slow powder like 3N38 or AA#7, they won't hold enough to blow them up but will hold enough to go Major Power factor in a 9 mm. Go to 115gr or 95gr bullet will also cut presssure and both wold be a compressed load. Sounds like you need to get a Dillon with a powder check.

With heavier bullets and smaller powder charges, you can fit a double charge in a 9mm case. I just posted in another thread that I accidentally double charged 3.4gr (6.8gr) of Universal Clays loading 147gr while clearing a primer jam. It was quite noticeable, as the powder was nearly to the top of the case.

4.2 gns of TiteGroup can be double loaded in a 9mm case, if you aren't looking. It's fairly obvious if you take a quick look, because the double charge will be visible. But I belive there is still enough room to seat the bullets, so, yes, you can double it.

VV N320, 4.3gns? no way, I tested to see what would happen when i first switch over to the N320, and a double charge overflowed the case.