Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

185 gr. jacketed 45 bullet

Gary Stevens

I read a post on the 1911 forum about a fellow who had purchased a thousand 185 gr. jacketed hollow base round nose 45 bullets.

I tried to send him an e-mail, but can't get logged in.

Now I don't know if his post is correct or not, but has anyone ever seen such a 45 bullet?

Hi Gary,

I used them for awhile. Berry's Manufacturing http://www.berrysmfg.com/ has a hollow based 185 grain round nosed .45. It has the same profile as a 230 grain, hence the hollow base. I shot several thousand and had no problems with them. It is a plated, not jacketed bullet, but I am told at .45 velocities there should be no separation.

Dale

Guest Larry Cazes

Ive tried the Berry's as well. Loaded to major PF they dish out quite a beating in all of my guns! :wacko: The recoil is just too great to be practical so I gave away the balance of what I had. What purpose were you considering them for?

Well I haven't got a classification in anything yet but SSP, but the idea would work in anything except CDP since it requires a 165,000 PF. I always just use the 230 FMJ for that level PF. However if you wanted to shoot your trusty 45 in the other

divisions, such as ESP or SSP where the PF is at 125,000 I would think the 185 loaded to minor would be very nice. You might have to work on your recoil spring to find out what will work with the reduced load, but it shouldn't be a big problem.

Yes, I was working this up for the revolver, a 625 Smith & Wesson. The profile of the bullet would give me the reload ability of the round nose bullet, and the weight would allow me to shoot a 130 PF (always allow a little fudge factor) at 702 FPS. Maybe I can make Master with the revolver. That would be a hoot :lol: Might even scare me.

Should be a real nice load.

I thought about going the ESP route with a Kimber 5". Problem is that every gun there has a 10 round mag. Most 1911s with a 10rd mag won't fit in "the box".

Many stages seem to require 10 or 11 rounds, so you're often doing reloads when the other guys are not. Which means you're out of the running.

The revolver idea seems pretty cool!

Heck NO! I shoot my Para LDA 9mm in SSP. I was just answering the previous question that you could shoot minor with the 185 and probably have a very soft shooting gun. Would be pretty neat if that was your only gun.

Of course if that is your only gun, you need to get a second job so you can buy more guns :P

I want to get a good revolver set up worked out so I can give you a run for your money sometime. Boy, I would like to see that B)

I use a 185gr JHP from Zero in a Para P13.

I have used,

4.7gr Clays for 900fps. 4.9gr = 945fps

5.1gr Titegroup for 895fps or to make sure 5.3gr for 930fps

Also look at

6.0gr 231 = 920fps

6.6gr WSF = 960fps

5.5gr VV N320 = 900fps,

They shoot quite well at around the 900-925fps. But as you get to 170pf the muzzle can be a little quick. Not high or rolling but snappy.

Gary,

It is my understanding that the purpose you outline is the exact reason the bullet was developed. And yes, it is a real soft shooter. It is also very cool for use in ICORE for those with 625s and no need to exceed the threshold of 120PF.

What will cause trouble is when someone loads it to appear to be a 230, and shoots it as Major at a club that doesn't pull bullets to weigh them. But, we keep an open pit at our club for such transgressors. (With shovels ready, at the edge.)

I've always heard honesty was it's own reward. That being said, powder is cheap, relatively speaking. :o

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Maybe your luck will be better this year :D

I scared myself to death in Virginia one time by getting some different bullet weights mixed up in my shooting bag. All were loaded to major for their bullet weight, but made it real interesting when it came to chronographing. Luckily I had 3 of the 180 grain in the mix to shoot across the chronograph.

• 4 years later...
Gary,

I've been loading the West Coast 200 grain plated round nose with enough Clays to make minor in .45 for SSR.

You could shoot 45 in SSP but ESP is non 45 ACP only. :o

Bill Nesbitt

Bill,

You can shoot .45 ACP in ESP. You can shoot a Glock 21 .45 ACP in SSP, ESP, and CDP.

Later, Lumpy

The Berry's 185 HBRN are a whoot to play with. I used to shoot them for steel when it was too cold to shoot pins at the local matches and loved them. I want to say I was using about 5.3 grains of HP-38 and it was running my full weight 1911 slide without trouble *although an 8 pound spring helped lol* Hodgdon has some very helpful data on their web site.

Note: Because of the hollow base of the bullet you will need the extra little bit of powder because of the increased case volume, the hollow base really affected the loading data for me.

Joe W.

Edited by joecichlid