Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Support hand thumb position?

G34 CORDY

Hi guys, I have been shooting a CZ for awhile in production and will be moving into the limited division down the road and plan on buying a STI 2011 when the funds become available. Iam use to having my support hand thumb high on the side of the frame due to the CZ has a small slide and large frame area to rest your thumb on which is very comfortable and easy to control the gun under recoil. My question is where do you guys place your support hand thumb on a 1911 type of gun? I tried my buddies 2011 and attempted to put my thumb on the frame but the slide is so tall I thought I was going to stop the slide. What is your recommendations for thumb support. Thanks

From what I have read the gas pedals are not legal for a limited gun?

That's correct.

Appendix D2 - Limited Division

22 - Prohibited modifications

External modifications or features such as weights or devices to control or reduce recoil (such as but not limited to thumb rests or components which could be used as such).

So just to understand correctly, with 1911 style guns your support hand thumb does not touch the gun? Where other guns like CZ, Glock and others you put your thumb on the frame to support the gun?

Is there more recoil on a 1911 style gun because you can't support the support side?

I don't think it's a good idea to try to control recoil by using your support thumb. The only thing you're going to end up doing if you try is to push the muzzle of the gun off to the side. Try leaving your support thumb off the gun. I bet it will help your shooting.

I used to shoot my CZ that way, doing probably the exact same thing as you are doing, but I improved greatly when I started leaving my thumb entirely off the gun.

Edited by dagger10k

So just to understand correctly, with 1911 style guns your support hand thumb does not touch the gun? Where other guns like CZ, Glock and others you put your thumb on the frame to support the gun?

Is there more recoil on a 1911 style gun because you can't support the support side?

I try to keep my support-hand thumb off the gun (or barely touching, at the most) regardless of make or model. Like Dagger said, you can wind up steering the gun erratically with pressure from the side. Sometimes I get a little tense in a stage and forget, but I try.

Revolvers are another story.

I try to keep my support-hand thumb off the gun (or barely touching, at the most) regardless of make or model. Like Dagger said, you can wind up steering the gun erratically with pressure from the side. Sometimes I get a little tense in a stage and forget, but I try.

Revolvers are another story.

Exactly...as long as the thumb is pointed forward properly, it doesn't matter if it's lightly touching the gun, or totally clear...won't make any difference. As soon as you put pressure against the gun, it can get a bit ugly. R,

Wow!

Never thought to leave my thumb off the gun.

My support hand thumb rides the dust cover just in front of the slide lock on my 1911 and my CZ

Always tried putting pressure there to help control recoil. Even consciously worked to increase the pressure as much as possible.

Never thought to ease up a bit.

I'll have to give it a try.

Thanks! :cheers:

I just put my thumb where it comfortably wants to be. It varies a bit over time, but most of the time it's pointed more or less straight forward. I don't think the exact position is all that important, as long as it's not touching.

Pointed straight forward, hopefully not touching the gun.

This. I used to keep my support hand thumb on the side of the frame, but I realized I was applying pressure with it which lead to not-so-good hits. Once I got my support hand thumb off the side of the gun my hits improved dramatically.

Pointed straight towards the target in-line with the barrel. I notice that my thumb just touches the slide ever so slightly when i'm dry firing, not sure whether this is the case when i'm actually live firing, but I don't think so since it doesn't seem to affect the gun at all or prevent it from going into/out of battery.

• 2 weeks later...

pointed somewhere around straight forward off the gun. The key for support hand recoil control is to rotate the top of you support hand as far forward as possible. it helps to engage the muscles in the top of your forearm. Putting thumb pressure on the slide of any gun just pushes your rounds left or right it wont do much for recoil control. At least thats the instruction I received from both Phil Straighter and Manny Bragg.

Hi guys, I have been shooting a CZ for awhile in production and will be moving into the limited division down the road and plan on buying a STI 2011 when the funds become available. Iam use to having my support hand thumb high on the side of the frame due to the CZ has a small slide and large frame area to rest your thumb on which is very comfortable and easy to control the gun under recoil. My question is where do you guys place your support hand thumb on a 1911 type of gun? I tried my buddies 2011 and attempted to put my thumb on the frame but the slide is so tall I thought I was going to stop the slide. What is your recommendations for thumb support. Thanks

G34,

I know where you are coming from since the CZ/TZ/ Tan has slide inside the frame, less likely touch the moving slide..

I put this up on our club website as a tip....

The is the "NRA way".. which is consistent with majority of the practical shooters use..

When I teach it, point both thumbs towards your target, without touching the pistol...

http://www.prg-ipsc.com/?page_id=61

grip3.jpg

Hope it helps