Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Full size 9mm LDA?

RAZZ

Did Para ever make a full size (government model) 9mm single stack LDA? I see they have the hi-cap full size, and compact single stack 9mm models, but I don't see a GM sized 9mm. Anyone ever seen one?

I know there is a lot of Para hate around here for the LDA (some of it deserved), but I was hoping they made such a model. My wife loves to shoot her single stack, and she wants to come shoot the production nationals with me this year. Her hands are kinda small and she doesn't shoot a wide gun very well--even something as small as a 9mm Glock. Which is why I got her the single stack--she shoots it great. I was hoping someone made a 10 round single column magazine production legal 9mm that I could get her, and thought a Para LDA in 9mm would have been--well, not perfect, but close to her STI Trojan in 9mm. About the closest thing I have found are the old single stack 9mm S&W autos, but they are still only 9+1, and seem to be very scarce.

Edited by RAZZ

Maybe have her try the M&P.

The PARA LDA's left a bad taste for me after watching a number of videos of Todd Jarrett getting hosed at major matches with his. He'd be right in the running, and WHAM, it would puke. I don't know if that was a factory issue, or he or someone else was just learning what not to do while tuning, or what. But it sure was painful to watch and scared me away from them.

They're possibly better guns than their reputation would indicate.

About the closest thing I have found are the old single stack 9mm S&W autos, but they are still only 9+1, and seem to be very scarce.

The full-sized S&W 39-series 9mm single stack autos were in production for decades, and very commonly encountered on the used gun market. Why the problem with 9+1, just out of curiosity? You're only going to get one more round in anything you can use in Production.

Just did a little quick 'net search. As you can see, this one has been sold, but as you can also see that buying an S&W 39-series auto in excellent condition is not exactly going to break the bank.

http://www.auctionar...temnum=10083622

Bear in mind that if you run these guns hard they do have a reputation for small parts breakage, especially the extractor, ejector and safety levers. But it's unlikely your wife is going to pour tens of thousands of rounds through the gun, yes?

Here's a link to the Gunbroker.com Home page. I'd give you a link to the page listing all the S&W 39-series guns currently being sold there, but for some reason it won't allow me to do that, you'd just get an Error message when clicking on a link to that page. :( You'll have to actually type "Smith Wesson 39" into their Search function. But when I did that, I got numerous hits.

http://www.gunbroker.com/

About the closest thing I have found are the old single stack 9mm S&W autos, but they are still only 9+1, and seem to be very scarce.

The full-sized S&W 39-series 9mm single stack autos were in production for decades, and very commonly encountered on the used gun market. Why the problem with 9+1, just out of curiosity? You're only going to get one more round in anything you can use in Production.

One more round is one more round :D . I wouldn't willingly go to the Nationals with a gun that only holds 9 in the magazine if I could avoid it, I don't want to send her with the same.

Thanks for the suggestion on searching Gunbroker for the S&W 39 Mr. Thomas. I was having a hard time finding any because I was searching for the wrong thing--the 3906 and 3904, which were not in production nearly as long as the 39--instead of the model 39. There seems to be plenty of them around. I'll see if I can find one locally to get my (her) hands on it.

The M&P was the same as the Glock for her, even with the small backstrap.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Edited by RAZZ

Have you actually tried the trigger on an LDA ? Its alot like a stock Browning hipower trigger, Long low resisitance pull to a stop point then it breaks with a long reset. The trigger span is probably greater than alot of newer design doublestacks. Small frame glock 17 1.3 inches width, 2.7 " trigger span,,,,,The 39's are 1.4 wide, triggerspan 2.7",,,,A standard 1911 has is 1.3" wide and 2.7" Triggerspan. I dont have Data for the M&P but with the small insert it should actually be a little smaller than the 1911. The other frames may "feel" fuller in the hand but I imagine the trigger finger is sitting on the same spot.

I hadn't considered the LDA's further trigger travel distance into the 'fits her hand' equation--that would very likely be an issue. But I don't think it matters at this point, since they don't make one in 9mm. I have not actually held a model 39 yet, so I don't know how she thinks it's going to feel in the hand. I guess we will find out. It may end up being too long of a reach for her as well.

She is a little resistive of the idea of changing firearms. I let her ultimately make the decision on what firearm to get when she (out of the blue)decided that she wanted to start shooting USPSA last year. I was thrilled, and wanted to do anything possible for her, so when her quest ended at the STI Trojan (with it's thin grips) in 9mm, I was perfectly happy. She loves 'her gun' and, lets face it, a steel framed single stack 9mm just makes you giggle when you shoot it--its pretty fun.

Regardless, we do have a back-up plan. Actually, its the primary plan, with changing guns the back-up plan. We will both go shoot the L-10 Nationals instead, where her gun will be reasonably competetive. She understands that most everyone else would be shooting a wide-body major PF 2011, and she is perfectly OK with that. With how much she likes her gun, I think this might be the best option.

Thanks for letting me bounce ideas off of you guys.

Edited by RAZZ

With how much she likes her gun, I think this might be the best option.

Absolutely. Let her shoot the gun she likes, and is already familiar with. Changing equipment before a big match, in search of a probably illusory performance upgrade, is not a good idea even for an experienced shooter (ask me how I know), much less a comparative newbie.