Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What makes 650 difficult?

I have had my 650 for 2 weeks. This is my first reloader and I don't find it very difficult to operate. I have read many threads about the tweaks etc. It takes to run. Iis there something I am missing?

You're not really missing anything. There are a few refinements that take care of a few of the 650's short comings. The biggest , in my humble opinion, is the fix for containing spent primers. The different fixes for this PIA problem are listed with the "Tips and Tricks" for the 650. I have two 650's and over the many years have had very few problems. Those that I have had have been minor issues. The 650 is a good machine. :cheers:

Pat

Yea I went with the tape trick for the dead primers,

also on the live primer cup ..this thing is awesome other then the flinging primers.

which is weird after all these years they have not fixed this problem. Funny having to put tape on a 7 or 8 hundred dollar machine,all things included...lol

I have had my 650 for 12 or 13 years. Put tape around the spent primmer cup and that worked good but the I read about putting a hose on the spend primmer and I have a coffee can about half full of spent primers. That was the best upgrade :cheers:

Every think that has broken or worn out has been in the spare parts kit. I am sure I have well over 100,000 rds on mine.

I hope you enjoy your as much as I have mine !!!

Brent

My only 2 issues with the 650 were simple.

1) I came from a 550 so I kept (keep) trying to index the press with my left thumb. Not really a big deal.

2) It is costing me a small fortune in range fees and components! :roflol:

) I came from a 550 so I kept (keep) trying to index the press with my left thumb. Not really a big deal

I started with the 650 a long time ago and 3 weeks ago added a 550 to the bench and having hard time why it didn't turn and put the brass in there. Both are grate press.

Brent

Edited by colt

You're not really missing anything. There are a few refinements that take care of a few of the 650's short comings. The biggest , in my humble opinion, is the fix for containing spent primers. The different fixes for this PIA problem are listed with the "Tips and Tricks" for the 650. I have two 650's and over the many years have had very few problems. Those that I have had have been minor issues. The 650 is a good machine. :cheers:

Pat

Another fairly new user here (almost a month).... I've had no issues with the spent primer system. I think it has something to do w/ stability of the press(or bench) rather than a flaw w/ the spent primer system. The spent primer system is fairly simple, and if everything is stable, primers should hit the cup w/o issue.

Like the OP, I've had zero problems that weren't minor setup issues. Those minor issues, after I just went over everything again, I found the problem.

Pat

Another fairly new user here (almost a month).... I've had no issues with the spent primer system. I think it has something to do w/ stability of the press(or bench) rather than a flaw w/ the spent primer system. The spent primer system is fairly simple, and if everything is stable, primers should hit the cup w/o issue.

Like the OP, I've had zero problems that weren't minor setup issues. Those minor issues, after I just went over everything again, I found the problem.

Its more then that cause my press does not move. My bench is screwd to wall

Pat

Its more then that cause my press does not move. My bench is screwd to wall

Not saying there isn't more to it... I just don't understand how I've yet to get a single primer on the floor. Maybe I'm just really lucky :)

If you have a strong mount, I believe this guy is a member here .... http://cgi.ebay.com/Dillon-XL-650-Spent-Primer-Upgrade-/280617573224?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41561c5b68#ht_3660wt_1141

I'm not finding my new 650 particularly problematic or difficult to operate, either. A caliber conversion from 9mm to .45 ACP really does take less than 10 minutes with a dedicated tool head and powder measure. Switching out the primer and case feed components was much faster and easier than expected, as well. The primer system on the 650 is much less troublesome than the SDB I'm coming from.