Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

one eye closed for close targets?

chp5

I shoot with both eyes open with my Limited and Production guns.

Unlike many shooters, I find long/difficult shots easlier with both eyes open than with one eye only. It's probably the slower pace of long/difficult shots that give me the time (no rushed feeling) to clearly see the front sight.

However, for very close, multiple targets, I sometimes loose the front sight in the flurry. :o

I was practicing today with three targets (2-6 yards) that were closely spaced. For my last two strings (before I ran out of ammo), I shut one eye and seemed to see far more of the front sight than with both eyes open. I didn't have enough ammo to really see if this method worked consistantly, but I'll give it a try next practice session.

Does anyone do this or have tried this? Thanks for your thoughts.

There's probably some great shooters who use the one eye method. I've always thought it tended to place an undue amount of strain on the one eye that was used. It also reduced my peripheral vision which hindered indexing from target to target, especially if the targets were spread over a broad (160 degree) range. It wasn't quite as noticeable if all the targets were in a more confined space, such as an El Prez stage.

Sounds like you body likes to do it that way. I don't know that you want to fight it.

I (personally) would want to figure out "why". I'd look to open up my awareness and figure out why my body wants to do it one way over another.

chp5,

I had the same problem that took me forever to figure out. I shot bullseye for years with one eye, so I figured I just was trained that way. But as I shot with 2 eyes open more, I realized it was the near stuff I was having problems with.

A trip to the eye doctor revealed I had a verticle alignment problem. It was worse with the near vision than far vision. I had prism's added to my prescription, and I never had problems with shooting close stuff with both eyes open again.

(ok, no wise cracks from anyone who's seen me miss 3yd full targets!!!).

I still close one eye occasionally for precision distance shots.

Steve Pitt

I've always felt I see and keep track of the front site better with only one eye open.

be

BE - Do you still use tape over one eye or shut it? If you shut it, do you always shoot with one eye or do you use two eyes on some types of targets where you use both eyes?

Thanks for your thoughts.

The good news: you do focus more completely on the front sight if your left eye is closed (or blocked). The bad news: it cuts way down on target vision and you lose the target completely as the gun recoils upward.

Try both ways and use whatever gives you the best scores. I keep both eyes open out to 25 yards and always shot better this way. You see a "ghost" image of the sights floating over the target. Maybe some people can't focus on a second image, it has always been easy for me. We shoot a league called TYRO which is speed shooting at a total of six closely spaced targets at 8 yard range. I shoot a para 1640 with standard black iron sights and I use both eyes open and focused on the target and just align the sights using indirect sighting (look through them). It must be possible to shoot this way, I finished first in the league and beat some IPSC pros. Not losing sight of the target during recoil is an advantage for me because I can steer the gun back faster. Some people may not need that edge.