Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA lowering Stock Revolver PF to 105

westczek

I was reading that IDPA is lowering the power factor for Stock Service Revolver to 105 to give shooters a better supply of off-the-shelf ammo for competition.

I think this is a great idea. I don't shoot IDPA, but I bought a CZ75 (My 686 was my first gun) and delayed my entry into USPSA revolver division for years until I began reloading. There wasn't a comparable option for 38 special as 9mm white box that made power factor, and I try to follow the rules even if there is no chrono. I can't be alone, right?

I really think if folks could by 38 Special reloads, like Georgia Arms, or other low cost options, it would take one barrier down for new revolver shooters.

USPSA should do it too.

I don't imagine that revolver division would grow to the size of production, but it might bring in a few and maybe some more casual or occasional revolver shooters from other divisions. Lots of folks have a 38 Special gun.

Westczek

Wild Gene,

Thanks, I didn't even know there was an IDPA section on the forum. I read through the whole thread. I honestly wouldn't want to lower my PF, because I'm already shooting minor in USPSA and can't see any value in going below 125 PF is you are reloading. However, I probably would have started shooting revolver earlier if I could have purchased low end ammo which was likely to make the required PF.

Westczek

I agree with the OP that the reduction of the PF for minor in USPSA would open up the gates a little for people to come in and play with off the shelf ammo, but that is only the beginning. The sheer round count of the stages is somewhat intimidating to the starting revolver shooter unless they have a place to go where there is good support from other revolver shooters. You've got to figure that the hardest part for people to get past is the sheer number of 10 to 20$ speedloaders and holster 40$ and holders 3 to 4 @20$ each it adds up until they figure out that moonclips are the way to fly and then you've got more cost. The argument that a lower power factor will change the game a little is also valid.

I think more people shoot IDPA as a beginner's sport due to the lesser ammo and equipment requirements with the exception of "that fishing vest." :roflol: Therefore they are catering a little more since the revolver competition seems to be slowing down a little. I have been to many local matches this year and seen my shadow as the only other revolver shooter. I have always been amongst men and women of the finest character while competing in USPSA revolver division with at least another shooter or two on the scoreboard.

Forrest,

I think speedloaders are comparable in prices to mags and holster for a 4" gun is basic Blade-tech. Speedloader holders maybe a little more dear, especially when all is multiplied by 6 for USPSA.

However, it is nothing compared with the cost of ammo, which never ends.

Forrest, I'm surprised you didn't make a crack about the PF on my 38 Short Colt loads B)

Westczek

PS -- They always knock down the steel if I hit it,

This is an interesting thread. I always thought that factory ammo came in a little hotter than 125, usually in the 130s. I shot factory 9mm ammo in Production for a while, without problem. Are factory .38's usually a littler "softer" than 9s?

I am not an IDPA competitor but if it does bring in additional new shooters, then more power - err, sorry. LESS POWER - to you guys. :cheers:

This is an interesting thread. I always thought that factory ammo came in a little hotter than 125, usually in the 130s. I shot factory 9mm ammo in Production for a while, without problem. Are factory .38's usually a littler "softer" than 9s?

I am not an IDPA competitor but if it does bring in additional new shooters, then more power - err, sorry. LESS POWER - to you guys. :cheers:

Yeah factory .38 specials are USUALLY kinda weak. I know there is some hot stuff out there but the value packs from Walmart don't exactly have a lot of oomph. I shot my 130ish pf loads out of my 2" airweight and they had modest recoil. Factory loads were just poofy by comparison. I think the change could help them get a few new competitors so whats the harm?

-ld

According to Midway, Winchester USA 38 Spl comes in at 104pf. 130gr, 800fps at the muzzle.

Edit: It looks like most of the +P ammo is in the 115-125pf range. For >125pf you need to look at CorBon or Buffalo Bore loads with heavy bullets and even those barely break 130pf.

Edited by blind bat

Forrest,

I think speedloaders are comparable in prices to mags and holster for a 4" gun is basic Blade-tech. Speedloader holders maybe a little more dear, especially when all is multiplied by 6 for USPSA.

Forrest, I'm surprised you didn't make a crack about the PF on my 38 Short Colt loads B)

Westczek

Yeah they do...hence no mention of it...after the last BUG match I've got little room to talk about clapping grasshopper loads.

Forrest,

Westczek

Yeah they do...hence no mention of it...after the last BUG match I've got little room to talk about clapping grasshopper loads.

Forrest, did you use standard length brass or trim back like mine? If standard length at that charge, you would be light

Forrest,

Westczek

Forrest, did you use standard length brass or trim back like mine? If standard length at that charge, you would be light

Totally straight .38 spec brass. I wasn't trying to play word games with CALIBER versus CHAMBERING that day. Yeah big problem with unburned powder. The load was a 125gr .356 hardcast with 2.5 grains of Clays. OAL unrecorded, but roughly the same length as a factory 130. Primer was a federal 100 small pistol primer in mixed .38 special brass. Should've gone small magnum pistol with a few more tenths most likely.