Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NYS Rifle Match @Square Deal 4/30 - 5/1

I've registered for this contest and am looking forward to it. This is my first action rifle contest, so I have downloaded and read the USPSA Rifle rules. I'm still unclear on equipment. I want to shoot an AR-15, 20" barrel, compensated. I have lots of questions.

- I have newer 10 round mags and preban 30 round mags. I don't have a mag belt holster. What mags should I plan on using and how many rounds does a typical stage use? How many extra mags do I start a stage with?

- I have a 3-12 scope, a 1-4 scope and a JP red dot w/ 45 offset and iron sights. I'd like to avoid open so that I don't end my first contest DFL. What optics should I plan on using. My eyesight isn't so hot anymore.

- Are the stages typically published prior to the match so one can study them and get an idea on what they're going to do?

Ben,

If you want to use a scope, the 1x4 is what most use in tactical division.

You will be shooting targets from 5 to 325 yds, sometimes in one stage so you will be turning your scope up and down as required.

Most shots will be 20 to 50 yd.

30 rd. mags are what you need.

Most stages are 20 to 40 rds. so you will need to carry at least two 30 rounders. I carry three.

Mag pouches are the way to go but pockets will do for now.

You will have a good idea what you need to get after this match just by seeing what people are using.

Ask your squad members what they are using and why.

They will be good people and will be willing to share until you get better! Ha ha.

Don't know if the stages will be published or not.

• 4 weeks later...

All,

Expect the range, especially the lower bays, to be extremely wet and muddy this weekend. We have had significant rain fall this week and flooding last night.

If your squadding with someone, please pass this message along because all of my email addresses from the applications are not valid.

If you withdrew from the match then ignore this message.

Thanks,

Guy

P.S. We'll have metal detectors available for rent should you drop a magazine and are unable to locate it. (Just teasing !! )

We just got home from this match. Once again, the crew did a great job especially considering that as late as Thursday the range was virtually inaccessible. We had 7 really fun stages with a nice mix of hard and easy shots. all but one range was nearly completely dried out. We will be back.

Jim