Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Custom 930 build

midget

Depends on the model but at buds $465 for a model 85235,

My budget plan is to start with a 930, model 85235, 24" turkey gun, black, FO front, no rear sight, chokes. About $465 on BUDs now, Nordic +5 tube $80.00, Nordic clamp $32.00. Use a piece of blued steel to cover the ports and hold in place with the tube clamp. I'll check the POI for slugs and then decide on other sight options. So I think with shipping, FFL fee, taxes I could have a decent set-up for $625 - $650.

If your want a longer barrel so you can have it cut and machined for chokes, $500-$550?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I finally got a chance to take the 930 out yesterday and play with it...

Not good news...

When I was working on the 930, it fell over and the magazine tube smacked a hard surface in my loft and put a little ding in it... Long story short, I have another tube coming from Mossberg to the tune of $31.95... After I get it back together with the new tube, I will let you guys know how it works...

Aside from Benny and Briley (best in the business, and also the most expensive...), where have you had luck doing barrels?

I want a 26" Mossberg 930 chopped down to 22", new front sight, and chokes recut. For factory chokes now, better chokes later. I'm considering doing it in phases. Live on FL Gulf Coast.

Jeff

Aside from Benny and Briley (best in the business, and also the most expensive...), where have you had luck doing barrels?

I want a 26" Mossberg 930 chopped down to 22", new front sight, and chokes recut. For factory chokes now, better chokes later. I'm considering doing it in phases. Live on FL Gulf Coast.

Jeff

I had Mike Orlen do mine. Google him and you'll find a post on shotgunworld.com.

Heres a little update....

I've still been working on the lifter gate... I'm trying to tune it for the perfect load right now before I go into the finishing work...

Also, something that might interest you guys with a 930 or those thinking about getting one... I found a place online that does 3d printing with stainless steel... When I get this done, I am going to model it and send it out to be made... Who would be interested in one? Keep in mind, Mossberg will not sell you a lifter gate (I've tried several times to get one from them to play with...)

I will get some pictures up later...

Heres a little update....

I've still been working on the lifter gate... I'm trying to tune it for the perfect load right now before I go into the finishing work...

Also, something that might interest you guys with a 930 or those thinking about getting one... I found a place online that does 3d printing with stainless steel... When I get this done, I am going to model it and send it out to be made... Who would be interested in one? Keep in mind, Mossberg will not sell you a lifter gate (I've tried several times to get one from them to play with...)

Please let me know where you go with the lifter.. :cheers:

TIA!

Chuck

I would be interested in one of these lifters.

Here is a couple pictures... Sorry for the quality again...

This lifter is just going to end up a prototype, so I'm not sure if I'm going to clean it all of the way up and make it looks pretty...

Oh, and it works wonderfully!

IMG_20110202_181658.jpg

IMG_20110202_181747.jpg

Looks really good. My 930 barrel is out getting chopped to 22" and rethreaded right now, and I'm planning on welding up my lifter soon, so your posts have been very helpful.

Just out of curiousity, what does lightening the lifter do? Does it improve reliability?

Looks really good. My 930 barrel is out getting chopped to 22" and rethreaded right now, and I'm planning on welding up my lifter soon, so your posts have been very helpful.

Just out of curiousity, what does lightening the lifter do? Does it improve reliability?

It makes sure that the timing stays correct... When you weld up the end, you are adding more weight that the spring didn't have to account for initially, so removing enough material to balance it is key... remember though, if you are removing material closer to the axis, it has less of an effect....

It makes sure that the timing stays correct... When you weld up the end, you are adding more weight that the spring didn't have to account for initially, so removing enough material to balance it is key... remember though, if you are removing material closer to the axis, it has less of an effect....

I see...that's good to know. I'll try drilling a hole in mine after welding it up.

One more question - does removing the material at the front of the receiver also help prevent getting your finger stuck when loading? It sure looks like it would help a lot. Between that overhang at the front and the hook in the receiver this thing is like a set of Chinese fingercuffs.

Jeff

Jeff,

I had this guy cut down my 26" and rethread it:

http://roseactionsports.com/default.aspx

Cost was $75 including return shipping. He quoted me another $15 to reset the front bead. I think that may have been the special price for Arfcom members, not sure. I didn't have him reset the bead since I haven't decided what I'm doing for sights yet, I may go with clamp on rifle sights. Turnaround was extremely fast, he got my barrel yesterday and today he notified me that it was on the way back to me. I'll post when I get it back, but I've seen other examples of his work and they were all well done.

I see...that's good to know. I'll try drilling a hole in mine after welding it up.

One more question - does removing the material at the front of the receiver also help prevent getting your finger stuck when loading? It sure looks like it would help a lot. Between that overhang at the front and the hook in the receiver this thing is like a set of Chinese fingercuffs.

Removing the material at the front makes it so that you can keep your thumb at a 90 degree angle to the receiver and can push the round in instead of poking it in...

I'm looking at nordic extension tubes... What would you guys do, this is not an open gun... +5?

I don't have a 930, but it seems if the lifter could compensate for the weight of a shotgun shell sitting there without missing a beat (with different weight shells also), the the little bit of weld there would be an afterthought in my mind. Am I missing something here?

I'm looking at nordic extension tubes... What would you guys do, this is not an open gun... +5?

Thats what I did.

My 930 is 21.5 from Receiver to end of barrel. The +5 is 1 3/8 inch longer than the barrel. Hope that helps.

Thats what I did.

My 930 is 21.5 from Receiver to end of barrel. The +5 is 1 3/8 inch longer than the barrel. Hope that helps.

Thanks, that will help me size the barrel!

Alright gentlemen, I have the 3d model of the lifter gate done... Now its just a matter of getting it produced... The place I was going to use to produce it via 3d printing is complaining because of one of the dimensions... I can fix it pretty easy, but I am going to see what I can find elsewhere... In the mean time, here is the 3d model... (Oh, and when I get these produced, you guy can have them at cost, I have no desire to make money off of this stuff, its a hobby)

liftergate.png

Thats what I did.

Thanks, that will help me size the barrel!

Alright gentlemen, I have the 3d model of the lifter gate done... Now its just a matter of getting it produced... The place I was going to use to produce it via 3d printing is complaining because of one of the dimensions... I can fix it pretty easy, but I am going to see what I can find elsewhere... In the mean time, here is the 3d model... (Oh, and when I get these produced, you guy can have them at cost, I have no desire to make money off of this stuff, its a hobby)

liftergate.png

So where do I add my name to the list of takers?