Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

cleaning brass

jsa

i usually change my media when it barely cleans the brass anymore. that usually varies with how dirty your brass is before you tumble it. the dillon stuff is nice because it really helps the shine but isnt neccesary. Put a a tablespoon in the first few times you tumble with the media, then after a few times it will absorb in the media and you wont need to put it in as often.

I do about an hour with walnut to clean the brass. Then an hour with crushed corn cob with a squirt of diluted Nu Finish car polish. I only add polish about every third batch. Make sure to let the tumbler run for awhile after putting in polish as the polish will glob up and find its way inside the brass.

I buy 40 lb bags of walnut from a sandblasting supply house. It is much sharper, cleans better, lasts longer, comes in different sizes and is MUCH cheapercompared to the lizard litter from the pet store.

Same thing with corn cob. Some guys can find it at a feed store but I never could. I get it from drillspot.com or grainger.

40lb bags will last a long, long time.:cheers:

do i put dillion polish in every time i clean brass,

Corn Cob Media

Nu Finish Car Wax

Cut up a fabric softener into 1 inch squares (put about 8-10 of them in there)

I put the Nu Finish (one bead around the bowl), turn the tumbler on for a few seconds to get it all mixed in, then I put my brass in, then the fabric softener sheets every time I tumble brass. I do this until I notice it taking longer to get my brass clean. It works great.

Four caps or a few squeezes of nufinish my initial start and a two caps every cleaning session of walnut for 3hrs, same with the corn cob just nufinish for two hours on a timer. I change it when it takes longer to clean to my exspectations or corncob has a greyish color, I also use fabricksoftner sheets to keep the dust/lead down !

I also buy my walnut from the local media blasting company. I run the brass through that for an hour or so and then on occasion run the brass through the tumbler with cob if I feel like getting fancy!