Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P 9L Open Gun

I use it for USPSA Open Minor (an odd duck, I realize) and also for steel. I posted the wrong picture, I have since installed a Speed Shooter Specialties magwell, which necessitates the use of Taylor Freelance extensions. I have one 170mm and two 140mm. I can shoot all but the longest stages with the single 170.

I started with minor and realized that I needed the major points so I switched over. Actually, my gun runs flatter as the PF increases and also feels softer. My 172 loads feel softer then factory 115's.

I'm in it just for the fun but there's still that competitive edge that gets in there. The Open shooters I see every week are all so serious and competitive among themselves that it rubs off. It does help you get better when you practice with them every week as well as watching them shoot stages and geting good tips from them.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Has your FS steel gun been finished? And if so, how does it run? I'm also curious what others would recommend for a platform to make 9mm major, FS or 9L. I'm guessing that the 9L has to have the slide lightened, does the FS?

Barney

Has your FS steel gun been finished? And if so, how does it run? I'm also curious what others would recommend for a platform to make 9mm major, FS or 9L. I'm guessing that the 9L has to have the slide lightened, does the FS?

Barney

Not yet, we're just about to start on it. The 9L slide was lightened. My guess is that the 9FS will neeed lightening as well.

George

Nice rig George !

Thanks Jay. Did I meet you at Tangi in February or March?

No Sir,

Because I've never had the chance to thank you for the generous offer to use all the mags I needed (when I posted on our local board that I was looking to buy some)

As I couldnt find any, anywhere

:cheers:

George:

Nice pistol. Looks like you spent as much as you would have if you bought a real open pistol.

I do not think that he is concerned by the amount of money spent but just in the journey to get it there and get a platform that he likes to work reliably. I also like the fact that you can go back and forth from an open M&P to a Production M&P and have it handle, feel, and index the same.

George:

Nice pistol. Looks like you spent as much as you would have if you bought a real open pistol.

Not really. I have 3 guns that I can comfortably shoot open with. I will take exception with your final comment since I have a real open pistol. I believe that this would be attested to by a number of people who have shot it and competed against it.

It may not be as pretty as some others but it handles well, shoots accurately and quickly and I've learned more about guns and ammunition in the past year then I ever thought I'd know. I've also met a great group of people and feel proud to be among the early protagonists of an 'affordable' open gun. Based on the work that's been done by me and others, it's reasonable to state that one can have an open major M&P 9 for under $1500 complete with mags. And, as more and more folks get involved with it, the innovation will continue and the gun will only get better.

George:

I do not think that he is concerned by the amount of money spent but just in the journey to get it there and get a platform that he likes to work reliably. I also like the fact that you can go back and forth from an open M&P to a Production M&P and have it handle, feel, and index the same.

Thanks, you are so right.

Maybe I'll run into you this summer since I'll be shooting in NJ. I'll be easy to find with my yellow shirt and I'll be the guy shooting open major, weak hand only. I found out that I have torn rotator cuffs in both shoulders. The right will be surgically repaired in 2 weeks but will not be usable for shooting for 8-12 weeks after the surgery. So, it's a weak hand summer. Interestingly, I'm more accurate but slower with the weak hand so it's a great opportunity to improve. I got a LH Double Alpha holster and I've been shooting weak hand only for the past month. It is great practice and a great confidence builder, especially for CCW. One really nice thing about the AA holster is that my CCW is an M&P 9c with a Delta Point so I can work on technique with minor loads and transition to the major loads with the 9L using the same 15rd mags for both.

Cool, I am sure we will run into each other at Old Bridge. I will be there in June and July for the outdoor matches. I am easy to find, any one working registration knows me, just have them point me out and ask to squad with me. It is always fun meeting forum members.

Brian

Cool, I am sure we will run into each other at Old Bridge. I will be there in June and July for the outdoor matches. I am easy to find, any one working registration knows me, just have them point me out and ask to squad with me. It is always fun meeting forum members.

Brian

Thanks,

I'm looking forward to a July meeting.

G

I have been following this thread and appreciate all the info you share on the M&P platform. I have been waiting to see how durable the Delta point is when mounted on the slide. Do you know if anyone has developed a comp. for the M&P since you started your build.

I have been following this thread and appreciate all the info you share on the M&P platform. I have been waiting to see how durable the Delta point is when mounted on the slide. Do you know if anyone has developed a comp. for the M&P since you started your build.

Darrin,

My three Delta Points each get "abused' differently and all function perfectly. One is on my CCW 9c, carried IWB daily. The second is on my Open Gun which now has about 12k rounds through it of which 7k are major. The third is on my Open 2 gun, has been struck well over 3000 times by ejected cases and still has no marks on the glass and a little noticeable roughness on the frame where it takes the hits from the cases.

Ken, of SSS, has been working on developing a frame mount for the M&P, but I haven't been following his efforts closely.

I last checked into Comps a few months ago and I didn't find anyone making one specificaly for the M&P's. I think that'll continue to be the situation until there's a sufficient market. I'm happy with the performance of the modified Jager on my Open gun and we'll be experimenting with an unmodified Jager and Lone Wolf this summer. I'm less concerned with the fine details of appearance then with the functionality.

George

• 3 weeks later...

George, what kind of work did it take to get the case to stop hitting the optic? Would milling it into the slide lower it enough to take care of it?

By the way, evidently Carver is building a comp specifically for the M&P now and SSS has them on their website: http://www.speedshooterspecialties.com/catalog/displayitem.php?rowid=1040&type=M&P 9mm 3 Port Comp, Black

George, what kind of work did it take to get the case to stop hitting the optic? Would milling it into the slide lower it enough to take care of it?

By the way, evidently Carver is building a comp specifically for the M&P now and SSS has them on their website: http://www.speedshooterspecialties.com/catalog/displayitem.php?rowid=1040&type=M&P 9mm 3 Port Comp, Black

Gary,

Randy would be the best person to explain his solution. He told me that it was similar to a problem that existed wth 1911's. What he did (among other things) was to mill the rear right side of the exection port.

Thanks for the info on the Carver Comp. I'll order one today from Kenny & add it to our comp test. I care mostly about functionality but It'll be nice to have a comp that's more esthetically pleasing to choose from. In the end, I'll go with whichever shoots flattest.

I also find it interesting that Carver's web site mentions M&P optic mounting systems coming soon. I believe that the M&P FS will become the entry level open gun in the next couple of years.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi George,

I have been following your post and can appreciate the time and effort you are putting into your projects. I have been doing the same thing with a XDM 9mm. Different loads, comps, springs, but I

think it all adds up to a better understanding of how it all works. Due to the loss of my job, it's taking longer than I like but that's life. I do get to shoot a steel match once a month, and am

hoping to shoot some USPSA matches soon.

I'm slowly working on a Open Glock for my girlfriend to shoot Steel with. She is shooting a 22 now, but want's to move up into a centerfire pistol.

Good luck on your new project!

Don

Edited by Bansheex

Hi George,

I have been following your post and can appreciate the time and effort you are putting into your projects. I have been doing the same thing with a XDM 9mm. Different loads, comps, springs, but I

think it all adds up to a better understanding of how it all works. Due to the loss of my job, it's taking longer than I like but that's life. I do get to shoot a steel match once a month, and am

I'm slowly working on a Open Glock for my girlfriend to shoot Steel with. She is shooting a 22 now, but want's to move up into a centerfire pistol.

Don

Don,

Thanks for the kind words. The better understanding is so important as is the fun of accomplishment. I know that the younger, more experienced guys are going to beat me at the matches but they have to work hard to have as much fun as I do.

One area where I've also had some interesting results has been with loads. There are a number of people who've shot the major load we've developed and have switched to it. We're now working up a minor load for steel in an M&P 9FS. I've always liked the feel of the Atlanta Arms 9mm 147 FMJ which chrono's at about 131 in my M&P's. It doesn't have the characteristics to work a comp though. So, we're experimenting with a similar load which uses Autocomp. We're just about there and it seems to be performing well. The load is MG 147FMJ, WSP, 4.1 AC and we're playing with the OAL to finalize the load since the physical bullet sizes are different. I realize that it's completely opposite the trsadition steel load but if it lets me shoot and transition quickly and runs the gun flat, I'll use it.

Good luck to you too.

George

Hi George,

I'm slowly working on a Open Glock for my girlfriend to shoot Steel with. Do you think the popple holes made a big difference? She is shooting a 22 now, but want's to move up into a centerfire pistol.

Don

Don,

Thanks for the kind words. The better understanding is so important as is the fun of accomplishment. I know that the younger, more experienced guys are going to beat me at the matches but they have to work hard to have as much fun as I do.

One area where I've also had some interesting results has been with loads. There are a number of people who've shot the major load we've developed and have switched to it. We're now working up a minor load for steel in an M&P 9FS. I've always liked the feel of the Atlanta Arms 9mm 147 FMJ which chrono's at about 131 in my M&P's. It doesn't have the characteristics to work a comp though. So, we're experimenting with a similar load which uses Autocomp. We're just about there and it seems to be performing well. The load is MG 147FMJ, WSP, 4.1 AC and we're playing with the OAL to finalize the load since the physical bullet sizes are different. I realize that it's completely opposite the trsadition steel load but if it lets me shoot and transition quickly and runs the gun flat, I'll use it.

Good luck to you too.

George

I'm 57 and know what you mean by the younger guys. I have been shooting 124gr MG FMJ with 6.5grs of Autocomp at 1.15 Where I live, powder choices are very limited, I'm having to order it most of the time.

We also shoot Steel with 22cal Buck Marks. I have had a few 1st places, and mostly come in the top 2 or 3 shooters. The 22's are great practice, cheap, and fun to shoot.

Don

Edited by Bansheex

OK, I started putting pieces together to start my build. The one thing that I find odd is the slide weights. I purchased a 40 FS for this build because I wanted to put a 9 conversion barrel in it. I figured if I were going to have an extra barrel/caliber laying around, this one is the one I'd like to have. Also, it would allow me to shoot limited with the same pistol with only a barrel chage.

To my surprise, there is no slide weight advantage to purchasing an FS gun. The slide on my 5" 9 Pro is 4 grams heavier than my new 4.25" FS! It seems that S&W has already lightened the slide on the 5" model by narrowing it at the top. Holding them side by side, you can see the different profile. There is no advantage to purchasing the FS to start. Slide lightening will still have to be done. The 5" model could have been trimmed at the front to accept a shorter (FS) barrel. The 4.25 will have to completely get recontoured in it's diet plan. I can't imagine the 40 weighing more than the 9 as they are claimed to be the same weight from the factory specs and my 9c has the same width slide as the 40 FS.

• 2 months later...

By the way, evidently Carver is building a comp specifically for the M&P now and SSS has them on their website: ht tp://ww w.speedshooterspecialties.com/catalog/displayitem.php?rowid=1040&type=M&P 9mm 3 Port Comp, Black

Gary,

Randy would be the best person to explain his solution. He told me that it was similar to a problem that existed wth 1911's. What he did (among other things) was to mill the rear right side of the exection port.

Thanks for the info on the Carver Comp. I'll order one today from Kenny & add it to our comp test. I care mostly about functionality but It'll be nice to have a comp that's more esthetically pleasing to choose from. In the end, I'll go with whichever shoots flattest.

I also find it interesting that Carver's web site mentions M&P optic mounting systems coming soon. I believe that the M&P FS will become the entry level open gun in the next couple of years.

Hi

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but I own an M&P Pro right now shooting in standard minor (or limited in USPSA term) and I am very much interested in converting to open to give it a try. I am just wondering what result you are getting with the new carver comp? cause i do like my gun to look as nice as it shoots lol

Thanks,

Tom

Hi

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but I own an M&P Pro right now shooting in standard minor (or limited in USPSA term) and I am very much interested in converting to open to give it a try. I am just wondering what result you are getting with the new carver comp? cause i do like my gun to look as nice as it shoots lol

Thanks,

Tom

I can probably add a little info here about it myself. I've pretty much put this project on the back burner once I got my 9Major shorty from Shay from AKAI, but Like most I started off with a Mini RDS mounted to the M&P 9pro slide and a Storm lake ported barrel. Then I picked up the Carver comp with a KKM threaded barrel. I can tell you with the carver comp it will not run minor pf ammo with the standard guide rod and spring, I had to get a 13lbs recoil spring to get it to run but it wasn't 100%, but after I bumped the PF to around 145 the gun runs nice and flat. I did a little a bit of tuning on the ejector so it wouldn't spit the empty brass back at the reddot. You can run the OEM spring and rod to shoot Major loads, but I got to admit its pretty violent compared to a full blown open race gun. This probably why you don't see alot of Glock open guns shooting major.

Hi

Thanks,

Tom

I can probably add a little info here about it myself. I've pretty much put this project on the back burner once I got my 9Major shorty from Shay from AKAI, but Like most I started off with a Mini RDS mounted to the M&P 9pro slide and a Storm lake ported barrel. Then I picked up the Carver comp with a KKM threaded barrel. I can tell you with the carver comp it will not run minor pf ammo with the standard guide rod and spring, I had to get a 13lbs recoil spring to get it to run but it wasn't 100%, but after I bumped the PF to around 145 the gun runs nice and flat. I did a little a bit of tuning on the ejector so it wouldn't spit the empty brass back at the reddot. You can run the OEM spring and rod to shoot Major loads, but I got to admit its pretty violent compared to a full blown open race gun. This probably why you don't see alot of Glock open guns shooting major.

Thank you for your reply. May I ask how the craver comp compares to the ported stormlake barrel? if I am getting a threaded barrel, do u recommend the KKM or stormlake one? Currently I have a full length tungsten guide rod and 13lb spring on it.

Btw which RDS do you have on your slide? How do u like it?