Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scam E-mail from "Matt McLearn"

Hey all,

I know a lot of folks here have probably been in contact with Matt McLearn (M2i) over the years, and he's a super guy...no question about that.

Unfortunately, either his e-mail has been hacked, or someone out there has a virus on their computer that is using the address book, and sending e-mails that appear to have come from Matt. Essentially, it says he's in London, England on vacation (with all those kids he has?...not likely), and was mugged, so he has no way to pay for his hotel. If you reply, they'll say they can't call, but you can send money via Western Union (something like $1850). I called and left Matt a message to let him know something was going on, but haven't heard back from him. If he's really in the U.K., and stuck, I'll engage "friends" to get him taken care of and back home. So, don't send money, give credit card info etc. When I hear back, I'll try to update this thread. R,

Bart

It's going around. I got the e mail a couple of months ago with some other name used.

The one I got was from someone hacking my Dad's account..... so I had to make sure it was really not him as the old goat might very well have really run off with a waitress or "exotic dancer" to London...:devil:

I've gotten about three of those from people I know. Everyone of them had their Yahoo EMail and Facebook accounts hacked.

If you have a Yahoo EMail account, use a strong password (at least 9 characters mixed upper and lower case, numbers, and special characters) and don't use this same password for anything else. Same for Facebook.

Here's an example of a strong password:

phrase: USPSA Shooting

password: uSpS@Sh00t1ng!

Those are zeros in the password, not the letter O

Edited by Graham Smith

I probably shouldn't have replied, but did, and said to have the hotel call me...of course, they replied and said the hotel wouldn't do that....riiiight. So I said "okay, are you flying to your place in Texas or Utah?"....didn't get a reply to that. I was going to ask how many of his kids went with him on the trip :P

Someone should respond :rolleyes:

Matt, so sorry to hear this!

We are sending the corporate jet to pick up your family

Sit tight we will have a limo out to your hotel late this afternoon.

A couple of guys frome State, and some FBI guys are looking deeply into this as we speak.

We will track these people to the ends of the earth!!!

Sincerely billy bob...CEO Mondo Corp

:sight:

Posting for someone that just talked with Matt - his account was hacked and he is actually traveling. And not being a computer guy, he is kind of lost now as to what to do.

Thanks for the update...I pray there is a special place in Hades for people that do this sort of stuff!

A couple of guys frome State, and some FBI guys are looking deeply into this as we speak.

Without mentioning names or states...

One of the emails I got was from a friend who was a retired State Prosecutor. He was on vacation in Mexico when the email went out. On the list of people who got an email were a few active and retired State DA's, judges, and lawyers. At least one of these people thought it was real as they knew he was traveling but was not sure where and responded to the email, but got suspicious when they read the reply. No details were forthcoming but the matter was turned over to the FBI.