Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Macbook Pro Battery Time

smokshwn

So I have a new MBPro and the battery is giving me nowhere near the listed 10 hours on a charge. I would be ok with 8.5 or something remotely close. But even after recharging overnight and showing 100% charge the time use estimate is only 3-5 hours?

My use is basic surfing, an occasional movie and working with documents and pics occasionally.

ideas???

So I have a new MBPro and the battery is giving me nowhere near the listed 10 hours on a charge. I would be ok with 8.5 or something remotely close. But even after recharging overnight and showing 100% charge the time use estimate is only 3-5 hours?

My use is basic surfing, an occasional movie and working with documents and pics occasionally.

ideas???

What are your "performance settings"?

You have several choices that alter the power usage levels.

Patrick

All of the battery saving features are on.....the one exception from the highest default setting was that I set the display sleep to 10 minutes. However if I am away from the machine I manually put it to sleep.

• 5 months later...

Have you let the battery drain all the way down to where the laptop shuts off and then do a full recharge? I did that on my '08 MBP and it made the battery last forever and a day. Now, 3 years later, it is losing it's charge capability, but it has been pretty rock solid.

Worth a shot...

Also adjust your display intensity and keyboard backlighting (convenient keys available for both), the latter of which you can turn off entirely. If I run my 13.3 at full intensity, the meter is guessing 3-5 hours. If I stop it down to 50% (which is adequate for most anything), the meter goes up to the 7 hour mark. I've never seen mine guess much more than 7 hours. Also if you're not connected wirelessly to anything, turn off your airport wireless card. That'll buy you some time. And if course when you close the lid and he goes into sleep mode, the glowing indicator on the front of the machine shows he is, in fact, still burning some appreciable power.

Bill,

Those are very helpful hints. I just checked mine to see what time I was given and it will only hold a charge now for a few hours...guess it's time to pony up some $$$ and get a new battery...ugh!!! Thanks for bringing up the whole "time meter" - I would have never checked that unless you said something...my wife will be calling you. :lol:

I was going to ask how old is this machine and decided to read for myself. 3 years. Did you get Apple Extended Care and if so, are you still within the tail-end of the warranty period? If so, schedule an appointment at the apple store, and they'll swap the battery out. If not, schedule an appointment at the apple store anyway and they'll still swap it out.... or you might see a 2011 model you just can't live without! :rolleyes:

Mine gives some pretty wild guesses, by the way. I'm running it right now on battery, airport on, and it was showing 2:52 hours left. Then I cranked the screen intensity, sound, and backliighting all the way up. Then it said 5:33, and now it says 3:46. Probably better off just showing percentage.

Edited by wgnoyes

I was going to ask how old is this machine and decided to read for myself. 3 years. Did you get Apple Extended Care and if so, are you still within the tail-end of the warranty period? If so, schedule an appointment at the apple store, and they'll swap the battery out. If not, schedule an appointment at the apple store anyway and they'll still swap it out.... or you might see a 2011 model you just can't live without! :rolleyes:

Mine gives some pretty wild guesses, by the way. I'm running it right now on battery, airport on, and it was showing 2:52 hours left. Then I cranked the screen intensity, sound, and backliighting all the way up. Then it said 5:33, and now it says 3:46. Probably better off just showing percentage.

I did get the Apple care, but I am positive I am past the warranty. I might try and swing into an Apple store if I can - closest one is 2 hrs away. Luckily, since I use my MBP for my other "work," then anything I get for it can be used as a tax write-off... :rolleyes: