Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Here's this weekends match

38supPat

Stage 1 – You could have saved at least a second by putting the reload mag on your belt first then loading and charging your gun with the other mag. As you did it you doubled your magazine manipulation efforts. This kind of stage is where a magnet on your belt or mag pouch comes in real handy. That way all you have to do is slap the reload mag onto the magnet and be done with it until the reload.

Stage 2 – It looked like you had the right plan for the stage. The only way that you could have shot it better would be to reduce your split times on the partial targets. You had 12 very deliberate shots that were all in the .65 - .75 sec range. If you could have shot these targets with .35 - .40 splits you would have saved a significant amount of stage time (3+ seconds). You have a dot, use it with confidence.

Stage 3 – Looks like a nice run. Since we can’t see the target distances its hard to tell if the shooting speed is right.

Stage 4 – Nice aggressive start. But just like on stage 2 your splits get really slow on the back end of the stage.

Misc – I noticed that your gun does a funky down and up bounce post shot. I don’t know if this is due to your bent elbows or a looser grip. This is more prevalent when you are shooting slower on the tight shots. Are you loosening your grip excessively to try and produce a smooth trigger press for the tight shots? You should be able to have the same firm grip while shooting fast and slow. Loosening your grip for the tight shots just adds yet another dynamic to the shooting process, such as a funky muzzle flip that you need to recover from before the next shot can be fired.

Check out the below video of Max M shooting a stage with a good mixture of easy and hard targets. Watch his gun muzzle flip, it’s exactly the same for every shot regardless of shooting speed or shot difficulty. Then listen to his splits. His slowest on target splits are in the low .20 sec range.

Thanks, on stage 1 that was definitely not my plan, for some reason I tried to stuff the mag in the gun first but couldn't seat it because of the other mag, instead of putting it in the pouch first, I tried to make the best of it I could...actually I win the stage but I shouldn't have.

The stages with the slow splits I probably could have gone a bit faster, but the banks of targets were pretty tough. The target arrays (because of range space) on the right side were Stacked partials separated by no shoots with about 4" to 5" of exposed target at 10m as it was I managed to drop 2 n/s and two mikes, that's why I took a second look at the end. On the left part of that stage there was the same type if array but with 2 poppers and a mini popper all stacked in front of each other. The weird bobble you saw was probably here and was because I was starting to break my wrists after firing the shot (first didn't strike the popper) I have that trouble on some strings where I want to get going and I'll break early. You can hear it on the other stage at the second port, the last target was the same size and distance as the others but I had to pause because I started to break off and then fire the last shot. All the targets onthst stage were the small targets the last three positions had 2 full minis, three stacked like the other back but probably only had 3" of exposed targets and the 2 more full minis. I should have shot faster on the fulls but ended up shooting pretty much the same pace for all of them

Stage 3 I crashed in too hard and the mat on the ground slid and bucked up causing me to be closer to the barrier than I needed to be, the shots around the sides werefairly easy but with some n/s around, I was especially slow here as I was off balance at the start and crowded the barricade and never really got corrected, doing it again I think I'd take the middle port and settle into a good position and then take the outside ports

If you are shooting .60+ splits on the tight partials you are not shooting from a subconscious level. You are consciously deciding when to break the shot after you feel comfortable with the sight alignment. If you are shooting this slow and still getting misses and no shoots then it makes it all that much more of a waste. You would probably be able to shoot it a lot faster with better hits if you just let go and allowed the shooting to happen.

Setup the same partial targets in practice and try shooting it both from a conscious commanded mindset then again simply letting the shooting happen from a subconscious level. In my experience, the subconscious shooting is always faster and more accurate than commanded shooting.

Giving away multiple seconds in pure shooting time by over aiming is a huge waste of time.

Your shooting fundamentals are good enough, have the confidence to let these skills take care of the shooting.

Pat> I try to keep all of my splits under .30 sec regardless of how tight it is or close it is. My goal this year is to keep all of my on target splits at .25 or under. I am doing this by not trying to shoot faster but instead focusing on seeing better so I can effectivly process, break and call the shot sooner.

Instead of "aiming for" a specific time, try to eliminate the shooting that makes you decide when to break the shot. Any time you come to a target and have a thought process of "This is a tight shot I have to aim hard........ Bang" that is always going to take way longer than simply trusting your skills and letting the shot break when you subconcious makes it happen. If you break the shot and call it marginal or bad your subconcious will make it up instantly. So why not simply let it do its job?

I firmly believe that being able to shoot these long and tight shots quickly and effectivly is what seperates the top GM class shooters form the M class shooters. Watch video's of just about any top flight GM on any stage with targets within 20 yards and you will see that NONE of their on target splits are more than .25 - .30 sec. Very good examples of this are Todd Jerrett and Manny Bragg. These two guys rarely shoot a split under .18 but then again they rarely shoot a split above .25 sec. Their shooting speed makes them look like they are shooting slow on the close targets but since they can shoot the tight/long shots at the same speed this is where they kill everyone on stage time. It simply takes them that much less time to physically shoot at the targets.

Then you have Max Michelle who can ramp up the splits on the close and medium distanct stuff to .12 - .15 but still stay within the .25 maximum splits on the tight and long shots. This is a big reason why he absolutely crushes everyone in open the vast majority of the time.

Obviously efficency of movement through the stage is vital. But in the end, it comes down to who gets done shooting the fastest. The sooner the shooting is over the sooner the stage is over.

I think CHA-LEE's got your number. Seems like you are waiting on that dot a bit (grip and stance).

:)

I was going to say something similar.

Setup the same partial targets in practice and try shooting it both from a conscious commanded mindset then again simply letting the shooting happen from a subconscious level. In my experience, the subconscious shooting is always faster and more accurate than commanded shooting.

Good stuff.

be

I wonder if I'm just afraid of bad shots and it's programmed in?

Maybe, but if you're really back, experience should erase that fear in short order....

For fear -- try this: Acknowledge the feeling, and let it go. Remember, that which doesn't kill you leaves you stronger, assuming that you learn from it.

Learn to differentiate between "I don't have a sight picture, need patience for this shot" and "I didn't have a sight picture, better slow down..."

At the 05 Nationals in Barry, I had a fantastic match on steel -- I literally fired one extra shot on a popper in the match. Toward the end, there was a stage with three partial paper (maybe 7-12 yards?) on each side of a barricade, and 4 US poppers centered maybe 15 yards back of the barricade. Shooting production, I slowly shot the paper on the left, reloaded, slowly shot the paper on the right and then sped up on the steel, prompting Dave Marques to make the comment that appears in my sig line.

What was the difference between partial paper and the steel? I was scared of the no-shoots, and I KNEW I could hit the steel as easy as 1,2,3,4....

Funny thing is they were both white, but I was scared of the one and totally confident on the other. That was a mind-blowing moment in my shooting, and influenced my practice for the next year or two....

I wonder if I'm just afraid of bad shots and it's programmed in?

ya gotta be mindful here...

There can be a desire to turn up the speed...and let the vision go. (Which is why I call yin/yang BS..along with the idea of balancing speed vs. accuracy)

Instead, be sure to keep the vision turned on. See more as you let your foot off the speed brake.

Which reminds me...I am going to need to work some timing drills when I get back to the range. (to get my own grip tuned up)