Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need help with my Weaver V3

Jman

Anyone have a .pdf version of the manual laying around on their Hard Drive?

Can't find mine to save my life. mad.gif

Clueless adjusting it. Want to get close before wasting a pile of ammo.

Thanks!

Jim

Edited by Jman

I have little knowledge of rifle scopes. How do I know what the factory setting was? If their was one. mellow.gif

Is the screw slot in the turret center just to loosen the turret for adjustment?

My only memory of zeroing a hunting scope was decades ago. It allowed my to zero it then adjust the

turret (while loose) to align the "0" to marks on the scope body. This made referencing my adjustment easy.

Is this little scope different? Hope this made some sense. wacko.gif

Jim

Easy way to do it without wasting a ton of ammo. Use a huge backer with a target in the middle. Fire 1 shot, aimed at the center of the target. Then lock the gun in a vice, aimed at the same spot you aimed at originally. With the gun locked in place adjust the cross hair to the bullet then fine tune it.

I usually sight down the bore which at least gets me on the paper. I prop my rifle on a rest with the bolt out and look down the barrel centering the bore to my target. I then adjust the crosshair to be a bit higher than what I see down the bore. That gets me on the paper and a few clicks later..."bullseye"!

I have little knowledge of rifle scopes. How do I know what the factory setting was? If their was one. mellow.gif

Is the screw slot in the turret center just to loosen the turret for adjustment?

My only memory of zeroing a hunting scope was decades ago. It allowed my to zero it then adjust the

turret (while loose) to align the "0" to marks on the scope body. This made referencing my adjustment easy.

Is this little scope different? Hope this made some sense. wacko.gif

Jim

As triggerbender said, the manual is pretty worthless. You don't need it anyway with this scope. The screw slot in the center is directly for the adjustments. You don't need a screwdriver....fingernail will do. There is no "aligning to zero" on the Weaver V3....the turrets don't have that capability, they are really basic. Side turret left and right, top turret up and down.

I do the same as kamikaze1a above. Mount the scope, separate your upper from the lower, remove the bolt carrier group, and immobilize your upper on/in a sturdy platform and sight down the barrel at a fairly small object (about 100 yards away, if you can). Then, without moving the upper at all - I usually have mine held loosely but firmly in a vise with soft jaws - adjust your scope until the crosshairs align with the object you can see directly in the center of your actual bore.

Then go to the range and fine tune it in. I have always managed to at least get onto a 2 foot square target at 100 yards with this method.

Edited by DanielW

I'm running the V3. Been adjusting scopes for 40 years, They had them back then. A coin works good for adjusting. In the absence of any tool to "bore sight" the scope and lets assume you have an AR. Take the upper off and the bolt out. Now prop it up and point it at as described at an object and align the cross hairs of the scope to point to the object.

I'd start at 25 yards or less if possible and take 3 shot groups and adjust the scope. The adjustment says up and this means move the impact point of the bullet up. Right means move the impact point of the bullet right. Once you are on the paper and near point of aim you can increase the distance. I like to Zero at 50 yards then test where it hits at 100 and then 200 yards. If you are only doing short range CQB matches then adjust accordingly.

Even with a laser bore sighter I have had to fire at each corner of a target to find where it was hitting. Make sure you shoot it from a rest so that you don't wind up chasing the impact point all over the target!

Do this alignment with the Ammo that you intend to shoot in the gun. You will find that different brands and bullet wights will hit at different points on the target. In testing reloads a grain of powder either way could move bullet impact a few inches.

Got it. What had me a bit confused was the scopes adjustment screws. I wondered if they were "resettable" to a zero mark. Now I understand that they just free spin so I'm good to go.

Jim