Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

X-5 Allround feed jams

Macca

Hi all,

I have an X-5 allround in 357sig that is feed jamming....now I think its a magazine problem as the only mags I have are a couple of mags from promag that are really P226 mags.....

Anyone else had issues with using P226 magazines in an x-5 allround? or had jamming issues with the allround? whats happening is the rounds are getting pushed up into the top of the chamber probably at a 30-40 degree angle and locking the gun up....I've tried altering oal, crimp etc on the rounds....its definitely a feeding issue and if I push slightly on the mag the rounds seem to feed ok

Reason Im not using the mags for the gun are germany sent me 15 rounds mags which are illegal here in AUS and had to be sent back and as usual SIG is taking a lifetime to send 10 round mags back.

anyway...if anyone has encountered this or has suggestions for modifying the mags let me know...but I'm thinking its probably the slot on the P226 mags from promag aren't in the exact spot for the x-5 allround?

I have yet to see a promag magazine that was reliable. Can you get hold of a MecGar P226 magazine to try? I'll bet it solves the problem.

I use MecGar P226 mags exclusively in my Allround.

I wish but I can only find 13 and 15 round mags?? which sadly are illegal in Aus.

I have yet to see a promag magazine that was reliable. Can you get hold of a MecGar P226 magazine to try? I'll bet it solves the problem.

I wish but I can only find 13 and 15 round mags?? which sadly are illegal in Aus.

Hmm...I think I have one or two SIG 9mm 10 round magazines laying around that I will never use. Do you know if it would be legal for me to ship them to AUS?

Hmm...I think I have one or two SIG 9mm 10 round magazines laying around that I will never use. Do you know if it would be legal for me to ship them to AUS?

My x-5 is 357sig, and would require 40 cal in any case I would probably have to get an import permit etc but thankyou very much for the offer

Edited by Macca

Is it possible there is too much extractor tension? This could cause the rounds to rotate bullet upwards, which would cause the failure to feed.

Well now.... I am suspicious about this too having looked at the extractor the tolerance for a case is extremely tight.... But I am unsure how to remove it from the slide to change the tension.... Can you describe the correct method?

My x-5 is 357sig, and would require 40 cal in any case I would probably have to get an import permit etc but thankyou very much for the offer

Pretty sure I have a 40/357 10 rounder laying around as well.

Is it possible there is too much extractor tension? This could cause the rounds to rotate bullet upwards, which would cause the failure to feed.

Well now.... I am suspicious about this too having looked at the extractor the tolerance for a case is extremely tight.... But I am unsure how to remove it from the slide to change the tension.... Can you describe the correct method?

Do you have any failure to feeds if you cycle through an entire magazine by hand??

To remove the extractor, I use a small flat blade screwdriver that I ground the sharp edges off. The square edges on the screw driver can gouge the extractor and potentially weaken it.

First field strip your Allround. Remove the barrel and guide rod assembly from the slide.

Put the slide into a vice. Lightly! You don't want to crush the slide.

With the inside of the slide facing up, put the flat blade screw driver between the extractor and inside of the slide. You need to twist the screw driver to pry the curved portion of the extractor from under the retaining ledge inside the slide.

With your second hand, you should be able to rotate the extractor claw side of the extractor 90 degrees (to the vertical position). Then it just lifts out of the slide.

Reassembly requires no tools.

Just put the extractor into the vertical position and rotate down until it snaps into place.

• 2 months later...

Lots of talk about extractor issues with the X5 AR over at SigForums. Bruce Gray, all around good gunsmith, thinks it is a design issue. I have one in 40 and occasionally also experience the issues... disappointing to say the least

I thought the X-5 extractor issue is only with the 9mm?

If it's jamming during feeding it would also be different from the 9mm issues I have heard about (failure to extract).

I'd strongly suspect the Pro-Mag magazine as well. In my experience they are poor. Are there any burrs on the feed lips? Does it have feed issues when you only load 5 rounds? Is the follower tipping upwards? You might be able to tweak the feeding lips to push the round down. I bet if you search in the 1911 section, you could get some hints on how the 2011 guys are tweaking them (bending in the forward part of the lip for example).

If it's really a pain to get mags in Aus, then maybe you could get a new SIG/Mecgar follower and a spring and tweak the feeding lips? That should be about as good as you can do. ...just and idea.

Edited by huskerlrrp

I use factory Sig mags from my 226 in my X-5 Allround 9mm and have not experienced any problems. I did polish the feed lips on the mags before I ever used them. I do that on all new mags because I had a problem years ago caused by burrs on the feed lips.

Had one and got rid of it because it would never work.

Every single one I've seen fired in person continuously hung up on empty brass.

What sort of load were you using in yours?

I've yet to have issues except when I went close to or below minimum power factor. I took my All Around out today since my CZ is getting coated and 200 rounds of 124gr MG HP and 7.7gr of AA#7 later, there wasn't a hicup. Maybe I'm just lucky....

• 2 months later...

Pretty sure I have a 40/357 10 rounder laying around as well.

FYI the 9mm P226 mags will work fine in a .40/.357Sig. The feed lips are the same, the small cutout at the back of the mag is a different shape, but the .40 and .357 work fine.

I've bought promag mags before for my 228 and 10 rounders for the P220. I never did return the 228 mag but it is less reliable than factory or Mecgar. The 10 rd 220 mags were crap originally with weak springs and plastic followers. I think Promag was under new ownership when I exchanged the mags for new ones with stronger springs and metal followers. These newer 10 rd 220 mags only seem to feed roundnose bullets. I did not try every OAL reloading with the mags but quicky saw what works with my factory mags does not work wtih the promags.

Caveat Emptor

I luv my X5 in .40 cal. I'd also like to see if Bruce Gray can improve it.

gordonm1