Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

step-down hose connection for RT1200 to shop vac?

currently connect my RT1200 to a shop vac with a rube goldberg assembly of duct tape and radiator clamps - functional, but truly an eyesore and occasioanlly irritating when it begins leaking. looking to construct a more reliable (and asthetically pleasing) way of connecting the RT1200's 1.25" OD suction intake to a shop vac (2.1" ID, 2.25" OD hose). I think some combination of this and this might work, but keen to see if someone else has already sorted this and has a part # they used successfully. Would rather learn from someone else's efforts if I can avoid buying have a dozen different hose couplers and piecing together the inside and outside diameters to make this work. thanks in advance.

I measured the inside and outside diameter of my vacuum hose. Then I went to Lowes' Plumbing department and found something that works well for me. I do not use tape or claps just insert one end into the other. Easy on, easy off, so I can use the small vacuum for other jobs.

lowes and Home depot both have a Shop vacume attatchment area with and assortment to pick from. = the fittings have the soft ring barbs for slip on slip off conections.

I have a few large to small & small to large fittings , Lows had a sale on a small vacume that did not make as much of a "Wine" as the larger , or my smaller older unit. the new vacume was $19.99 with fittings and new proper size hose to fit the 1200 Just cut the the end off one of the hose end attachments and use it as the addapter to the 1200

thanks much guys. I've been using the full-size floor standing rigid brand shop vac. I'll take another look at the local hardware store's section for shop vac hose fittings, but it sounds like you all are getting good results with a $20 cannister vacuum than that may be the simplest answer (and not much more than what it would cost if I had to buy 2.5" hose fittings mail-order and pay shipping costs).

Lowe's sells a little vacuum unit that fits in a 5 gallon bucket or something similar for around $20, and shop-vac has a 1 gallon mini-vac that works pretty good as well; they also sell a 2 gal super quiet vacuum for around $30. Lots of options out there.

so home depot didn't have any smaller vacuums for $20, but they did have exactly the step-down attachment I'd been looking for online. I don't know why the heck I didn't just check there in the first place, but this thing was $9 and lets me just use the full size shop vac I already own. the worst part is that I must have walked past these things 10 times in the last year, but never noticed the shelf full of shop-vac accessories...

post-959-013810800 1294367533_thumb.jpg

post-959-061029800 1294367568_thumb.jpg

Just found that my hose on my Dyson fits perfectly and it has plenty of suction. The wife is not impressed that I am using the vacuum for reloading but, I am happy I didn't have to make a trip to Lowes.

You are using a $400 vacuum :surprise: to suck up tiny pieces of brass?

Just found that my hose on my Dyson fits perfectly and it has plenty of suction. The wife is not impressed that I am using the vacuum for reloading but, I am happy I didn't have to make a trip to Lowes.

You are using a $400 vacuum :surprise: to suck up tiny pieces of brass?

That's what I was thinking. You're wife's going to destroy you if you ruin that dyson. :devil: I think i'd play it safe and get a $20 unit.

sorry man, nothing makes me happier than knowing someone is using one of James Dyson's products to produce small arms ammunition:cheers: strikes me a little like using a printed volume of the works of ghandi to prop up your reloading bench :devil:

Edited by jaredr

I will eventually get a small vacuum for the trimmer but, I was just wanting to get my Chrismas present up and running and this was a quick and easy solution. I am getting about as much flak on this board as I am from the wife, looks like I will be visiting Lowes soon, LOL.

• 3 weeks later...

so home depot didn't have any smaller vacuums for $20, but they did have exactly the step-down attachment I'd been looking for online. I don't know why the heck I didn't just check there in the first place, but this thing was $9 and lets me just use the full size shop vac I already own. the worst part is that I must have walked past these things 10 times in the last year, but never noticed the shelf full of shop-vac accessories...

post-959-013810800 1294367533_thumb.jpg

post-959-061029800 1294367568_thumb.jpg

why drill the holes in your trimmer vac housing?

• 2 weeks later...

I use a $30 2gal shop vac I found at target. I was using a larger unit, but it was way to noisy. I bought 3 feet of clear tubing from Home Depot, it fits the attachment perfect, other end goes into a 5 gal plastic bucket. I put a hole in the lid to just fit the clear hose, in the opposite side of the bucket lid I cut a hole for the vac hose. 95% of the chips go into the 5 gal pail, and the vacuum doesn't get full or clog my filter. I get a 3/4 full 5 gal pale every 2 days :)

No fittings, and I can see the chips flowing away. I can see if the attachment starts to get clogged, pull the hose and pull out a small clog before it becomes a very large clog and I have to separate the attachment halves.

Using the other half's vacuum, pure insanity in my book, sometimes they don't understand,lol.

When I have large batches to do, I use a 30' vac hose and put my shop vac in the other room. I run it with an extension cord and a power outlet strip and use the on/off switch to run it. Keeping the vac in the other room helps keep the noise down.