Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gas mileage performance chips

With the diverse knowledge here, I decided to ask before I buy.

I am looking to put a performance chip in my 2009 F150 Lariat Supercrew. Looking to get a little added performance but also added MPG.

Question is, do they really work or are they just a way to get money?

Any info including brand to look at would be greatly appreciated.

Happy New Year

Gary

I have installed them in my last four deisel pick ups and all have improved MPG. The main problem with them is they all add power and it makes it more fun to drive and harder to keep your foot out of the gas. While yours is a gas and mine have been deisel the brands I have used are

BD Performance

Edge Products

H&S Performance

All three have been great for tech support and function. The main thing about any programmer or chip is to drive it sensible and you will see the best improvments, as I said before it makes it more fun to drive so sometimes it is hard to do.

In a gas motor, they mostly advance the timing, requiring premium fuels to prevent knocking. You'll be lucky to see any appreciable gain of any sort. With an exhaust, intake, chip and a little pixie dust, you might net 5-10hp somewhere in the curve... not necessarily 5-10hp at peak power. Many of the new ones actually remap the throttle (its electronic in many cars) so you push the gas less to get the same rpms.

Diesels respond differently to the chips than gas motors do.

Edited by Seth

IMO they are great in a diesel and worthless in a gas truck. The way its been explained to me is that most gas engines come tuned close to the max of their potential, ewhereas diesels are turned way down from the factory in order to meet EPA regulations, therfore are easier to increase performance and fuel economy...

good way to void your warranty,, Smoke and mirror claims with the gas engines, you might move the power band a bit and tune for better towing, or better to end, but your not gonna get better performance and better gas mileage, the better performance comes from burning more gas. The biggest thing you can do for mpg, is to drive conservatively.

I have installed them in my last four diesel pick ups and all have improved MPG. The main problem with them is they all add power and it makes it more fun to drive and harder to keep your foot out of the gas. While yours is a gas and mine have been diesel the brands I have used are

BD Performance

Edge Products

H&S Performance

All three have been great for tech support and function. The main thing about any programmer or chip is to drive it sensible and you will see the best improvements, as I said before it makes it more fun to drive so sometimes it is hard to do.

+1 to this I think the Edge unit is good because they normally come with a monitor

I put one in my f250 diesel and now my Dodge Cummings. what I getting was a way to watch all my temp too Transmit ion , Ex intake air temp AND I can run a check on all the warnings codes and Clear them with out paying the dealer.

It can be very hard to keep your foot out of the gas with the upgrade though

And It will Fool your inboards mileage calculator in to telling you that you are getting 26mpg = your not you will have to hand calculate you "real' fuel mileage.

If you are going to do some long distance pulling a trailer , I think it is a must have,just to save the trans But for GAS - I don't think so-

I was pulling my 5th wheel over Raton Pass and had lots of power to spare at 60 mph - But the exhaust temp went over 1,390 ! so I backed off and slowed down to make the truck last longer. I saved fuel because the temp will show me when I am not burning all the fuel. and save the motor.

Edge makes a gas model

Edited by AlamoShooter

• 1 month later...

The only noticeable difference your really going to see from a "chip" is going to be in a forced induction engine. If it is a "performance" chip then you will see a decrease in mpg, because in order to make more performance(HP) out of the engine the chip must add more fuel the the amount of air.

I use a "stacked" system on my 06 SuperDuty diesel truck. A Quadzilla module topped with an Edge system and monitor. Fuel mileage did increase when set on "economy" mode but just 1-2 mpg. I also have exhaust and intake mods to the truck. The power when everything is cranked up is enough to boil 37 inch tires. That pretty much takes care of any mileage gains. I run both systems in the higher HP settings and try to be easy on the go pedal. This seems to work the best for me.