Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Newbie Equipment Question

drmatt

Hi all - I've been trolling the forums for a few weeks now and have a question or 2 about getting started. I'm a reformed skeet shooter and I've punched a little paper with handguns but I've never done any practical shooting. Since they closed down my local skeet range a few years ago I've been thinking about shooting ICORE or USPSA to fill the void. I've accumulated most of the stuff I need. I picked up a crspeed belt a year or so ago and have some suitable revolvers (625JM, 5" 627, 5" 686+, 686 SSR) to get me started. My question is on the holster and the moonclip holders. I'd like to put together a setup I wouldn't need to change out every time I want to use a different gun. If I have to I can get different setups for the different calibers, I was just hoping to save a little money and hassle.

I've looked at the Race Master with the different inserts but it's a pretty costly holster for a newb. The other is the crspeed. I'm assuming the crspeed will fit any of my revolvers. Any opinions as to which way I should go? Or are there any other good choices out there that I've overlooked?

On the moonclip holders I have no idea. Same idea - I'd love not to have different holders for different calibers. The one's I've found online are the North Mountain, Speed-e-rack and the Johnson Mag rack. I also like the idea of the Moonclip server. In reading a lot of posts I know many of you swear by the North Mountain. I like the idea of the magnets on the Mag Rack. I'm sure there are others out there and I know everyone probably has their own opinions on the best setup.

Thanks in advance for the help. I have some questions as well about the costs and time commitment of reloading vs buying factory ammo, but I'll post that in another thread.

Hi:

Look at Safariland (Cup??) holster. That's what I started out with. You may be giving up a second compared to the latest and greatest. (perhaps not).

It's low cost and a place to get started. It will fit several revolvers. I've even drawn a 6" 610. It's awkward to say the least but it works.

IDPA has some rules that prevent this holster and really simple moon clip holders. I know you didn't mention that game but be aware.

If you stick with moon clips and don't use speed loaders then probably one type of moon clip holder will work across several guns.

I have and 8 shot 38 super 627, 625s and 610s all using the same holders.

So are the 686s cut for moon clips or are you using speed loaders??

Also look into moon clip loaders and unloaders as well as the moon clips themselves.

George

You could go with a pair of bladetech DOH holsters. (one for your 5" N frames and one for you 686's) Together, they will cost you about the same as one race holster.

Regarding Moon clip holders, I'm still using a very early model North Mountain with thick posts but, understand that you can get them now with skinny posts that will work with different moonclips.

If you are not shooting IDPA, then I would go with a CR-speed for the holster. It will fit all your Smith's and is adjustable for the barrel length. I know some don't like it because they have had a problem with the revolver falling out during awkward starts. That has never happened to me. Just my two cents on that.

For the moonclip holders, I think the North Mountain with turned down posts is the best way to go for multiple calibers. If you are going with just one caliber, then I like the Speedy-Rack. I have both and they are both quality products. Bob Perdue and Elliot Ayssen are both top notch guys who will stand behind their product. I shoot mostly 45 and have used the Speedy-Rack for a longer time, so I am partial to it.

If you are going to shoot seriously, then you will need to reload rather than buy factory. Get a Dillon 550 or 650 and you will never regret it.

Thanks for the replies. Just a couple more questions. Because of the difference in cylinder size will the safariland hold the 686's as securely as the N frames? Also I'm leaning toward the North Mountain holders, however was wondering about the ease of pulling the bottom moonclips off of the long posts? Seems like it might be kind of awkward.

Hello: I am in the same boat as you. I am going with the North Mountain 4 post holder and a Blade Tech DOH holster to start. If the DOH does not do all I need it to do then I will go with a Race Master insert for my Race Master I have already for Open/Limited. The DOH holster I can cut on to make it better and they are really not much slower at least they have not been for me. Thanks, Eric

:goof:

Thanks for the replies. Just a couple more questions. Because of the difference in cylinder size will the safariland hold the 686's as securely as the N frames? Also I'm leaning toward the North Mountain holders, however was wondering about the ease of pulling the bottom moonclips off of the long posts? Seems like it might be kind of awkward.

I can use my Safariland for my Security Six, 617, 686, and 610's without any problems. The moons come off the NM clip holder with no binding at all. Just reach down and the grab the first clip you feel and away you go. :goof: