Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I have the nook, it's on the heavy side to be reading laying down with one hand. I didn't care for the color touch screen or the web browser. I'm thinking about getting the Kindle3. You can check them out at Staples or Best Buy. Pretty thin and much lighter than the nook.

After spending some time with both the Kindle3 and the Nook in person and browsing the content available for both, I think Im gonna go with the Nook. I liked the way it felt, the lack of a keyboard and the selection of titles from BN. I dont think the couple extra days of battery life on the Kindle are that big a deal. Anyways, Ill post again after I make my purchase!

Kindle is the better piece of hardware, the nook is slightly more flexible.

The big point where you have to decide is this. Do you only want to put stuff on it you acquire from amazon? The kinlde does their proprietary topaz format, and it does pdf (pretty poorly IMO, but that could change with a software update).

The nook on the other hand uses epub natively, will allow epub files form third parties, and supports pdfs (not awesome, but better than kindle imo). The nook has also made it super simple to get your own DRM free content on the device.

Now on to the bad news. The "cloud" part of the service. Amazon's is robust. Barnes & Noble's seemed ok, but having just got a nook for Christmas, I experienced the system fold like a house of cards in a VERY inelegant manner. I'm STILL trying to get my account sorted out so that I have what I tried to pay for and that it gets paid for in the manner I want. Huge PITA. Amazon knows how to scale things VERY well, and I can't see that ever happening to them.

However, I have books on my nook from safari bookshelf in epub format, and reloading guides from powder manufacturers, and some references I have in .pdf as well as some whitepapers for technical stuff.

If you really don't want to make a commitment to a back end service, and you don't mind reading from an emissive display, the ipad is about as non-comittal and well supported as you can get. It has support for pretty much every major ebook seller out there.

Just out of curiosity, I put together a good list of older books that I have read and would like to re-read just to see if they were available and what they cost. These are all books that are out of print but could probably be found as paperbacks from my favorite used book vendor for a buck or two a book. I then checked Amazon, B&N, Sony, and Google books. The results were interesting.

Most could be found on all three for pretty much the same price - about the same as the used paperback with postage.

A few were not available on any of the four or in any electronic format I could find.

BUT, there were a few that Amazon had that the other three did not. I did not find any case where one of the others had a book that Amazon didn't.

This is far from definitive but it points out my contention that you should be looking at content rather than hardware in deciding. The best book reader made is useless if you can't get the books you want to read.

Isn't technology great? :roflol: Check this out e-reader converter Now all you have to do is pick the device you want, buy the content from the cheapest place(or loan the file) and convert it for your device and enjoy.

I can't get the link to show up. www.calibre-ebook.com

Edited by Fireant

I got my wife a Sony and it's pretty kool. B)

Whatever you do, like others have posted get the E-Ink screen. The Sony's actually looks better in direct sun. The brighter it is the better it looks. I just assume that all E-Ink screens do this. We are totally satisfied with the Sony.

• 1 month later...

Just got a nook color. Rooted it and installed Kindle on it. Now I have both nook and kindle to pick from.

An android tablet for $249. Oh, if interested, ebay has the nook color for $50 off (B&N is the seller). So for 199 plus tax, get yourself a NC. Put in the coupon code at the top of the page

Ebay Nook Color

Edited by vluc