Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problems with dawson followers

EkuJustice

Has anyone else had any problems with the Dawson/ismi combo. Tried them out for reliability and once it hits about round 14 they are very hard to load to the point if you dont use a mag loader your thumb will be torn up getting them. It right now can be crammed with 19 rounds but is very tight even with the SNL base pads in several mags. One mag tends to have problems where it feels like it is nosediving and sluggish getting pushed up. Is there an easy fix for this or just ditch the new parts and try another brand

Experienced this recently on a set of their tuned mags exactly as you described.... put in my Grams spring/followers from my open mags and ran without a hitch and was able to get another round in. I'll be ordering some more Grams stuff soon.

STI tube, I probibally just scrap them and give grams a try. So much for going the easy way. Was hoping for 19 rounds that were reliable without trimming anything that dont lock back. Expensive lesson lol

Edited by EkuJustice

Hello: Since you are using STI mags then you will not have to trim the sides of the follower like you do for the SVI's. The ISMI springs will have to be cycled quite a few toimes before they take a set. You can trim one coil off the spring and get a reloadable 20 rounds with the "SNL". Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

I've run into this problem with Dawson followers too. Seems they are a tad too long (front to back) and would get hung up when the mag is loaded with only 10 rds. Could file them shorter but I just took them out and replaced everything with Grams Eng. stuff.

I was just looking for a 19-20 round reliable. The way it is now 20 would have no chance of fitting and 19 is extremely tight to the point of having to smack it and shove very hard for everything past round 14 or so. Felt tight springs before but this is tight to the point it tears your thumb up with anything past 14-15. I have even tried factory springs which are shorter and still have the same thing. I will give it a try shortening one front to back to see how it goes before I switch over to grams which will probibally be happening next. The dawsons seem to be hanging in the mag so the first couple come out then it seems like its nosedving in the mag and the rounds are pointed straight out,not tilted up at all

Edited by EkuJustice