Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

REM SPS Tactical

STIGUY

Purchased the gun and looking to upgrade with new stock and bottom metal. Looked into Manners stocks and came across the MCS-DBM Mini Chasis and wanted to know thoughts and experiences.

Couple of the Stock designs were intriguing but would like to get one that has LOP adustment as well as adjustable cheek height. Any suggestions? If I go with A Mcmilluan design, can the MCS be adapted or is it a waste of money at that point?

THANKS

Have you considered an AI stock... ? Does it all right out of the box and is a great system. The AI that Benny Hill built for me was the most accurate gun I have ever owned from the first time I fired it.

If you would consider modding your factory stock - It is also pretty simple to put the Badger bottom metal into a SPS stock and have a very nice gun with little fuss.

Have you considered an AI stock... ? Does it all right out of the box and is a great system. The AI that Benny Hill built for me was the most accurate gun I have ever owned from the first time I fired it.

If you would consider modding your factory stock - It is also pretty simple to put the Badger bottom metal into a SPS stock and have a very nice gun with little fuss.

I recently bought the SPS also. Do you have a link for what your describing?

Thanks

I purchased the Badger bottom metal and some AI mags and handed the gun to Triangle Shooting Sports. On my gun Benny did the bottom metal installation to the stock first. He then removed the barrel from the action and trued up the action, reinstalled the barrel, reset the headspace, lapped the lugs, installed an extended bolt handle and put the gun back together for me. I believe that Larry White had the same thing done (or very similar) and both guns shoot extremely well with these mods.

The guns are mostly pretty nice out of the box.....with the mods both of them are very noticeably superior.

1132502149_cnP6k-L.jpg

I purchased the Badger bottom metal and some AI mags and handed the gun to Triangle Shooting Sports. On my gun Benny did the bottom metal installation to the stock first. He then removed the barrel from the action and trued up the action, reinstalled the barrel, reset the headspace, lapped the lugs, installed an extended bolt handle and put the gun back together for me. I believe that Larry White had the same thing done (or very similar) and both guns shoot extremely well with these mods.

The guns are mostly pretty nice out of the box.....with the mods both of them are very noticeably superior.

1132502149_cnP6k-L.jpg

That's kind of what I want done with mine. What scope mount height is that? Looking at Badger...not sure to go with the .20 MOA, .35 or .45 cant? Suggestions????

Go with the 20moa rail...Badger makes a good one as does NF and a few others. With a 50mm objective, you should be able to run .875" tall rings and have clearance for a scope cap still. It will keep the scope low, but you may or may not still need a cheekpiece depending on the stock.

The AI stock is hard to beat. Fully adjustable and it will stand up to hard use. The other stock that came out last year that is worth a look is the J. Allen Enterprises Rem 700 stock. I have one of thier stocks on an M1A. It is also fully adjustable and can take the wear and tear of 3 gun etc. The nice thing about either of these stocks is they are ready to go out of the box without buying bottom metal and having the action bedded. The AI stocks are as accurate as any McMillan stocks I have on other 700s.

Good choice on replacing the stock. The tactical comes with a hogue stock that will flex. Manners makes a good stock. The manners chassis is not adaptable to the McMillan as far as I know.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw that Rem. offers the Tacticall AAC model with a 1.10 20 in. Barrel. Having a real hard time finding one though. Just thought that this one would work better on heavier bullet and it us already threaded for a suppressor. Does anyone know if this gun really exist and/or where to obtain? I guess I could go ahead and get the other model, but it is not that much more expensive and it has the barrel?

Saw that Rem. offers the Tacticall AAC model with a 1.10 20 in. Barrel. Having a real hard time finding one though. Just thought that this one would work better on heavier bullet and it us already threaded for a suppressor. Does anyone know if this gun really exist and/or where to obtain? I guess I could go ahead and get the other model, but it is not that much more expensive and it has the barrel?

Saw 2 of these in stock at Cash in A Flash Pawn in Shreveport, LA the other day. Tempting.

• 2 weeks later...

Purchased the gun and looking to upgrade with new stock and bottom metal. Looked into Manners stocks and came across the MCS-DBM Mini Chasis and wanted to know thoughts and experiences.

Couple of the Stock designs were intriguing but would like to get one that has LOP adustment as well as adjustable cheek height. Any suggestions? If I go with A Mcmilluan design, can the MCS be adapted or is it a waste of money at that point?

THANKS

These are just my opinions, so take them as such. I don't own a Manners, but I've spent time behind several of their models, they make a great stock. The Mini Chassis is ideal when you're going to be shooting several actions in the same stock, but if you're mating the stock to one action it's still better to skim bed it. If you don't go with the Mini Chassis, pillar bed it in. Either way is fairly easy to do yourself, I've done several with great results. It ain't rocket surgery, but skim bedding is easier.

Adjustable cheekpiece is great, if you go McMillan ask for the KMW Loggerhead hardware, it's the best one they have IMO. I think that's what Manners uses by default. My McMillan has adjustable LOP, but after setting it the first time (at what turned out to be the exact same length as a standard Remington stock) I haven't touched it again. Any future stocks I'll just buy that length to start with and save the expense.

You won't want to mate a Mini Chassis to a McMillan, it's not worth the hassle. If you want the chassis, just get a Manners. I do know someone was working with McMillan a while back to develop a mini chassis in one of their stocks, but I don't know whether they would be available in their other stocks or if the project is even still in the works.

• 2 months later...

I really like my AICS...dropped in a R-700 it and shoots "lights out". I priced aftermarket stocks..bottom metal..AICS mags...custom bedding..etc. Turns out you can probably buy an AICS for less, and it does not require bedding. I can take the barreled action out of the stock and replace it and zero is same. Cold bore shots are only 1/2" out of the group. Adjustability is great. Fits in a shorter AR type tactical soft case.

If you don't like it, these stocks sell fast and you recover your investment.

DSC02678.jpg

Edited by BigBore56